Monday, November 22, 2010

Freeport XC race

With the trail marathon two weeks behind me and the the XC nationals looming I decided it was time to hit the road and run some XC.

I found a race in Freeport and decided to head north and bag some county high points along the way, more on that in another post.

I got to the race site and after checking in and getting the scoop on the course I headed out.  The course was great, with lots of twists and turns.  There were roots and a little mud but really the only tricky stuff was wherever there was a bit of ice.  I warmed up on the course and felt pretty decent doing some strides.  I bumped into Todd Coffin - Dirigo, a former CMS runner.  I knew there would be some competition.

It was just above freezing and the wind was blowing when about 75 of us took off.  The local high school team took off, the knowledge of the home course and the narrow trail may have caused them to go out a bit too fast.  I was in about 10th when we hit the woods about 400m into the race.  I quickly moved around the Freeport XC guys who slowed in the woods.  Todd went by me about 800m into the race and I tried to keep him close.  When we hit the start line about halfway through the race I was ten seconds behind Todd and pretty well ahead of fourth place.  I got as close as three or four seconds with less than 800 to go, then at 400 to go Todd glanced back and took off.  He was gone and moved back up to a ten second gap.  I was pleased with taking 3rd in 17:38.  It felt good to get some fast running in after the last two marathons.  Hopefully I'll be able to run as fast at the tougher Thanksgiving XC race this week.

Betty ReeZ WhoopieZ - 5km XC

Freeport, ME, November 20, 2010

1 Josh Zolla M 24 15:54 5:08
2Todd Coffin M 49 17:28 5:38
3 Dave Dunham M 46 17:38 5:41
4 Jorma Kurry M 39 18:03 5:49
5 Bennet Wade M 17 18:47 6:04
Whoopie Pie prizes for the top three in each age group

No comments: