Thursday, January 6, 2011

January...years gone by

30 years ago

I started out the year with a new Billerica High school record for 2 miles (indoors) with a 9:41.6 at the Dartmouth relays. I’m not sure what the old school record was but it was held by Kevin Curtin. A week later I broke that record with a 5th place finish at the Coaches Invitational at Harvard. I ran 9:33.7 in a race won by Mike Flynn who ran 9:12. I ran two other two miles that month, both at Methuen High school and both wins. I ran 9:56 in a dual meet against Lowell and a 9:49 in a dual meet versus Wilmington.

20 years ago
I ran six races during January of 1991, ranging from 1 mile to 5 miles. I placed first in five of them and the other was a relay. After a 16:23 at the Fudgicle series 5k I headed to Dartmouth and lead off a 4x1mile team with Brad, Gary and Artie running 4:20, 4:30, 4:38, and 4:50 respectively. The next day I ran the open mile in 4:20.6. I returned to Tewksbury two more times running 15:59 and 16:17 and closed out the month with a victory at the Penacook Winter challenge 5m where I ran 24:53.

15 years ago
Six races and five wins to kick off 1996. I started the year with a tough battle against Dan and Rob Pierce at the Hangover 10k. I didn’t pull away for good until less than ½ mile to go and ended up with the “W” by just a few seconds (30:28). A few days later I went for a “triple” at the Dartmouth relays. I took first in the mile, 3,000, and 5,000 in 4:12, 8:44, and 15:39 respectively. Maybe that took a bit too much out of me? I suffered at the Ras Na Heiran (Race of Ireland) where I finished 20th in a very tough XC race. I closed out the month with a win at the Freeze your Bunz 5m race in Nashua in 25:41.

10 years ago
Five races and five wins to kick off the new millennium. I started off with a “Rat Race” win at the Weary Traveler running 25:03 on the “short five” course. The following week I won at the South Pond Shuffle, which remains one of my favorite snowshoe races. I followed that up with a win at Greylock glen, which is the snowshoe race I’ve done the most times (seven). The following day I won the tough Boston Prep 16 mile in an awful snowstorm. I would have been better off racing in snowshoes! The final race of the year was a very fast snowshoe race in Stillwater NY. As I recall Robert broke his snowshoe and was disqualified.
Robert and me before the Weary Traveller

Richard and me on the way to Mt Greylock

1 comment:

Robert said...

I also recall a police fine for not wearing my seatbelt (which I did) on one of those snowshoe races - and you were the one who was speeding :) Always blame the eastern europeans :) Anyway It was a great year - it was nice to join you all for many races!