Friday, January 28, 2011

Workout

I thought I’d try another workout yesterday; Snowshoe racing doesn't help speed (although it is great for strength and mental toughness). I want to test my back and do as much as I can without getting injured. Isn’t that the trick?

I hit the treadmill at Pinnacle Physical Therapy and did a 1.5 mile warm-up (11:53), then a half-mile in 2:59.1, after a ¼ mile rest (1:53) I ran the hardest part of the workout. I felt decent running a mile in 5:27.1 (that is my fastest mile this year). Then another ¼ mile rest (1:51) and a final half-mile in 3:00.0. I finished with a 1 mile warm-down (7:02). The total time for 5 miles was 34:06. I felt very good, but I’m not sure if that really indicates anything.

This weekend should be interesting, with another snowshoe double. The Sidehiller 4m on Saturday has plenty of snow and will be substantially slower than the icy and flat version we ran last year. My times at Sidehiller tend to be somewhere in the 33 minute range. I’m hoping for a top 10 finish. The field should be pretty deep with the race being part of the WMAC and GSS series and also a qualifier for Nationals. On Sunday I plan to head to Curly’s record run which has a great climb and the craziest descent ever. It should be a lot of fun. I think the over-under for the temperature in Pittsfield is 2 degrees.

No comments: