Sunday, October 2, 2011

DNF = Did not finish

More like DNFF (as in F!!!!!)...

Went to Harvard today to test myself over the hilly 10 mile course.  I was feeling a bit tired from the high mileage week but otherwise all seemed well.  Did an easy 16 minute warm-up then headed to the start line.  Bumped into Eric Beauchesne (now running for Whirlaway) at the start.  Headed out very easy for the first (maybe slightly long?) mile.  Hit the mile in 6 flat feeling excellent.  Upped the pace a bit and Eric dropped back as I closed on Mark Mayall who was leading, 10 seconds up.  By 2 miles 11:49 I'd closed to 5 seconds and was feeling good, but trying to relax in the early miles.  At about 2.5 miles I felt a twinge in my left calf just above the achilles.  I eased back just slightly and pushed it to the back of my mind.  At 2.9 miles my calf went into full-blown spasm and I hobbled/hopped to the side of the road.

F!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is my "good" calf, not the one that was injured at Mt Washington.  It is good no more.  I walked the walk of shame as the entire field went by then I limped the 3 miles back to the start.  The entire way just this side of full-on panic mode.  Only five weeks to the marathon and it isn't a flat marathon (8,000' of elevation change) and I find myself typing at the keyboard with my stomach rolling in anxiety.  Ugh.

This is the first time I've had a DNF caused by an injury, and this really hit me out of nowhere.  I'm usually pretty well tuned in to how I feel and know when it is not a good idea to race (training is a whole other animal).  Nearly 1,200 races and now four DNF.  Ugh again.

I know "this too shall pass", but the question is WHEN?

No comments: