Sunday, February 28, 2016

Feb. 1981 & 1991

35 years ago = Feb 1981, I covered 154 miles during the month and only missed one day.  I raced six times during my junior season of indoor track at Billerica Memorial High School.  That may sound like a lot of racing but it was only 8.75 miles.  I started the month with a 9:41.6 two mile in a dual meet against Central on the Methuen oval.  I wrote “just missed the record” but I’m not sure what record that was school or track?  Two days later I ran a couple of relay legs at the State Relay Championships at Harvard.  I ran a PR of 2:05 in the 2 mile relay (our team ran 8:39) and another PR of 56 flat in the mile relay.  Next up was the League Meet at Methuen high.  I won and set a Merrimack Valley League meet record running 9:38.0 which snuck under the old record of 9:39.6 set by Austin prep’s John Callahan.  A week later I set a BMHS indoor 2 mile record of 9:31.0 at the Northern Area Meet in Beverly.  Despite the record I was disappointed with a third place finish behind Mike Flynn (?) and Steve Perkins (Danvers) who both ran 9:27.  A week later I lowered my school record to 9:30.7 taking second to Flynn at the State Championships back at Harvard.

25 years ago = Feb 1991, I raced five times in February of 1991, all road races while covering 330 miles and not missing a day.  I started the month off with a tie at the Lynn Stew Chase.  The day did not start well as I carpooled with GLRR teammate Artie Demers and he got a flat tire on the highway.  We almost missed the start.  Lou Ristano and I broke away from the field and took turns leading into the wind.  At 8 miles we decided to cross together, I believe I was awarded the win in 48:31 in a field of 322.  A week later I set (the still standing) course record at the Tewksbury Fudgcicle series.  I broke Buddy Bostick’s record of 15:31 with a 14:57 on a perfect 40 degree day.  The following week I was back in Tewksbury getting a win in 17:10 (taking it easy because I was racing the next day) on a cold 10 degree day.  The next day I got a hard fought win at the Paddy Kelly 5m which (in addition to the Lynn race) was part of the first Hockomock Swamp Rat series.  I took the win in 24:29 with (???) Ritchie and Mike Woodman close behind in 24:44 and 25:01.  The final race of the month was a (then) Greater Lowell Road Runners staple, the Two-some relay.  I teamed up with Petey to take first running the 3.6 mile leg in 18:11 (Petey ran 19:05).  We held off Art Demers and Mike Woodman who finished second in 38:21.

2 comments:

DoubleJ said...

Good stuff Dave...although there's a typo here. You said 'I broke Buddy Bostick’s record of 15:31' when it should read 'Barry Bostwick'. Otherwise, great recap ;)...

Greg said...

Dave, you have the best blog on the internet. I love these flashbacks. It's great to see how your running progresses over time. It's also interesting to see your decline in speed with age. Your attitude is always upbeat and you seem to enjoy your running and racing as much as ever. I'm someone who's fastest years are probably behind me now and I love learning from your wisdom. Thanks for posting!