Thursday, March 9, 2017

Training log 03/09/1997

I usually don’t write too much in my log but this race had a lot going on so here is what I wrote in my training log (with new notes in red)

03-09-97 - 1.4 warm-up with Byrne (Decker), Craig (Fram) etc...felt ok but foot sore (I’d later find out that I was running on a stress fracture that would completely break requiring surgery and a screw to hold it together) and it was freezing out there.  Some wind on the course and splits were totally inaccurate (there was a running joke back in the day that CMS had a code to figure out your “real” splits…the course was certified but the mile marks were nowhere near where they belonged).  Pack of about 20 through 10k.  Rich Marion out front throwing all kinds of random sprints at the pack.  Jose Moreira (BAA) bolted at 7m.  We went after him and caught him at 15k with Byrne pushing.  Down to 8 in the lead group by 10 miles.  (Andy) Spaulding made a big move at 13 and pulled away.  Craig, Byrne, Eric (Morse), and I pushed hard to close.  Dropped Morse and Byrne after 16, around 17 Craig and Spaulding pulled away (I fell back and was pretty sure I was running for third place at this point).  I pushed hard on the climb out of Clinton (1.5 miles to go) and took the lead with 1/2 mile to go.  Spaulding went back by me and I tucked behind him until I saw the line.  Kicked with all I had and took the win in the last 200 meters.

1 Dave Dunham CMS 1:39:15
2 Andy Spaulding GLRR 1:39:18
3 Craig Fram CMS 1:39:34
4 Jose Moreira BAA 1:39:54
5 Byrne Decker CMS 1:39:59
6 Eric Morse CMS 1:40:21

No comments: