Monday, September 18, 2017

5k road champs

USATF NE 5km champs (09/17/2017) – I headed into this race feeling unprepared for a fast road race as most of my training has been off-road (and slow).  I’ve been doing some short speed workouts over the last month to get some leg turnover, mostly because I’m focusing on the USA Cross-Country 5km championships in Mid-October.  Based on the workouts and the 17:55 I’d managed for 5k XC last weekend I had a goal of running under 17:30.
 
Dan Verrington and I got to Providence a bit early (1.5 hours before the race) in order to get parked and numbers and all the other stuff that chews up time before a race out of the way.  I wanted to ensure I had plenty of time to run the course and do some strides before trying to do some fast running.  We met up with some of our CMS teammates and at 10am headed out for a run over the course.  It was about 70 degrees and very humid.  I was soaked by a mile into the warm-up.  The course was mostly flat, with the exception being the start and finish which had a 20-30’ hill that seemed a lot bigger than it was (nothing like a hill at 2.9 miles to really take something out of you).  We finished the warm-up in time for the fog to have burned off and the temperature to climb 10 degrees.  Fortunately this was only a 5k and not something longer.  Teammate Martin Tighe directed us toward the train station to avoid the bathroom lines which saved us a lot of time!
 
I switched into my lightweight Piranha racing flats and headed out for another mile with some strides.  I felt pretty lousy, which is normal.  I got a shout-out from USATF NE office manager Steve Vaitones as I led Ruben Sanca through the women’s corral so we could get to the men’s side of the street for the start.  Unlike most USATF championships the women had plenty of room at the start.  Normally I sneak in behind the women as they only get 3 or 4 rows of ladies willing to head to the front of the line.  On this day I walked 10 rows back on the men’s side which is further than I’d usually go but teammate Ed Sheldon was there as were WRT runners Rob Edson and Brad Klinedinst; these were all familiar faces I hoped to keep in sight.  After a LONG series of introductions we were finally off.
 
It was a bit of a mad sprint down the hill and I concentrated on staying on my feet and out of trouble.  Somehow I always seem to end up behind some kid who sprinted out then decides the race is over 100 meters in.  I could see Ed up ahead and Mark Reeder (who I had been close behind last weekend) so it felt like I was where I should be.  Edson pulled up and then floated away, I tried to keep him close but he was going just a bit quicker than I could manage and there was a long way to go.  By the mile I was pretty much settled into where I’d finish.  Wayne Levy (BAA) went by and I really wanted to go with him as he is in my age group but I could not go any faster.  I kept thinking “wait until 2 miles then pick it up”.  I hit two miles and was slowing down, I guess everyone was as there was very little passing going on (at least back around 100th place where I was).  It seemed to take forever to get back to where the course split and I’d know there was only a half-mile to go.  There was no kick for me, I was all-out and the uphill just killed.  I hate hills!  Give me a mountain where I can shift into low-gear.  I held my place to the line and took 7th in the 50+.  My “chip” time was 17:32.4 which was disappointing since sub-17:30 was my goal.  It is my fastest 5km this year so I can’t complain much. 
 
Our squad had a great day taking 2nd in the Senior team category.  We should do well next week at Lone Gull, we’ll get David Principe back plus everyone who scored at the 5k will be running.  I’m looking forward to the longer race; it is a lot less stressful (although last year I don’t think I snuck into the top 10). 
 

Male 50 to 54
                                                                                             Total 
    Place    Name                              Team  Age   Overall         Time        Pace 
       1    ED SHELDON                      CMS              53       73        16:54.4      5:26/M
       2    SCOTT ANDERSON              WRT   52       81        17:11.1      5:32/M
       3    ROB EDSON                        WRT   53       88        17:16.1      5:33/M
       4    WAYNE LEVY                       BAA   52       93        17:20.5      5:34/M
       5    DAVE DUNHAM                    CMS   53       97        17:32.4      5:38/M
       6    CHARLIE BEMIS                   WRT  54      101        17:37.9      5:40/M
       7    ALEJANDRO HEUCK              GSH  52      103        17:39.6      5:41/M
       8    NORMAN BOUTHILLIER        WRT  52      126        18:02.5      5:48/M
       9    TERRY MCNATT                   CSU  52      130        18:08.0      5:50/M
      10    PAUL DAVIES                      BAA  50      132        18:10.2      5:50/M
 
 
Male 55 to 59
                                                                                              Total 
    Place    Name                              Team  Age   Overall         Time        Pace 
       1    NAT LARSON                      GSH    55       23        15:53.3      5:06/M
       2    MARK REEDER                    GLRR  57       95        17:23.4      5:35/M
       3    DAN VERRINGTON              CMS    55      124        18:01.9      5:48/M
       4    E J HRYNOWSKI                 GLRR   55      139        18:18.0      5:53/M
       5    TONY BATES                      GMAA  58      145        18:23.7      5:55/M
       6    MARTIN TIGHE                   CMS    59      155        18:36.7      5:59/M
       7    PAUL HAMMOND                 WRT   57      167        18:52.2      6:04/M
       8    ANDREW MACDONALD         BAA    57      192        19:23.8      6:14/M
       9    JOHN SINGELAIS                 GCS    58      196        19:27.4      6:15/M
      10    KENNETH WARREN             WRT   55       219       19:48.2       6:22M
 

No comments: