Monday, March 5, 2018

Easing the heartbreak hill 5k (ish)


With the calendar flipping to March running a Fudgical series race is no longer an option.  I wanted to do something this weekend as I knew I wouldn’t be racing next weekend and the clock is ticking down toward the New Bedford half-marathon (kicking off the 2018 USATF NE grand prix).  I selected the “Easing Heartbreak Hill 5k” in Concord NH, mostly based on the 9am start time but also knowing the NHTI campus is very flat so this would be an opportunity to run a quick time.

I did a workout on the track on Wednesday (4x800) and felt I was ready to break 18 minutes for 5k (about 5:45 per mile).  I was one of the first to arrive at the race site which wasn’t surprising as only 50 ran the race last year and I try to get there early to ensure I’m not rushed.  I picked up my number (and shocked the volunteer by not taking a t-shirt or a ticket for the raffle – I told her “I’ve got enough STUFF”).  Fifty minutes before the start I headed out to scout the course.  They didn’t have a map at the race site but I’d seen it online.  It was basically and out & back on the campus.  My watch beep pretty close to where they had a mile marker (the only marker I saw on the course) but I reached the turn at a little beyond 1.4 miles.  Hmmmm, that can’t be right or could it?

After my warm-up I switched into race gear and flats and headed out for another mile.  I saw a couple of people also warming up but most were still hanging out inside.  I had stopped inside to double-check on the course and found that I had run the correct loop and the course was indeed short.  I was also assured it was being marked and there would be volunteers at each turn.  We lined up for the Star Spangled Banner and were sent on our way.

It was pretty windy with the remnants of the Noreaster still mucking about.  At 40 degrees it wasn’t uncomfortable.  I was hoping to find someone to tuck behind in the wind.  As I headed up over the highway (the only ‘hill’ on the course) I was passed and tucked in.  Perfect!  Unfortunately that was not to be as the early leader (Matt Reynolds) slowed up as we dropped down the other side of the bridge.  He hung behind me through the first half-mile (2:52) before I heard his breathing and footfalls fade.  I was happy to be in first but really wanted to run 5:45’s so I kept the effort going.  I hit the mile in 5:45 (2:53) and at 1.4 headed into the turn.  The wind was pretty tough as I headed back.  It was mostly a cross wind but when it was a headwind it was not easy out there.

The good thing about an out & back course is that you can see where the competition is without having to peek.  I guessed I had a 30-45 second lead at the turn and hit the next half-mile split in 2:56.  I was losing time but that was a fairly windy half.  I passed the last person who was heading out as I hit 2 miles in 11:36 (5:51/2:55).  I’d need to get moving to meet my goal.  The climb over the highway was much tougher this time and at the top my watch beeped for 2.5 miles (2:59).  Now it was all downhill and flat to the finish.  I had a good kick running the last 1/3rd of a mile (.32) in 1:40 or 5:13 pace.  I must have had a decent tailwind as well.  My final time of 16:17 worked out to 5:47 pace which would have put me right around 18 flat for 5k.  No complaints, I think on a good weather day I could run 5 seconds a mile faster which would put me right around the time I ran on the indoor track (when I hurt my calf).  If I’m back in the same shape as I was in January, and I think I am, then I’m ahead of where I’d hoped I’d be after injuring the calf.

I did my warm-down over the course (and thanked the volunteers) and made it back to the humongous spread of food just as they were starting the awards ceremony.  I usually don’t stick around for that but figured since I was there I’d pick up my prize.  I was surprised to see that the young lady who finished in 2nd place was only 14 (!!).  I ended up getting my pick of Girl Scout cookies for a prize which was nice!  Too bad this race is held on the same morning as another race at NHTI, it probably hurts both races.  This race was well managed, had a ton of food, and a boatload of prizes.

Splits:
2:52 2:53 (5:45) 2:56 2:55 (5:51-11:36) 2:59 1:40 (5:13!) = 16:17


Easing Heartbreak Hill 5K(2.83m)  Concord, NH - March 3, 2018 Finishers =44
Pl      Div    Name                            Ag S City, St                          Time    Pace 
    1   1/8    DAVE DUNHAM             53 M  BRADFORD, MA                   16:17  5:16
    2   1/1    SOPHIA REYNOLDS      14 F   ANDOVER, NH           17:39  5:42
    3   1/4    MICHAEL POPHAM       36 M  BEDFORD, NH            18:07  5:51
    4   2/8    DAVID AUDET              52 M  CONCORD, NH           18:18  5:54
    5   2/4    PHIL BROGAN              32 M  CONCORD, NH           18:38  6:01
    6   1/2    MATT REYNOLDS          16 M  ANDOVER, NH            20:20  6:34
    7   1/4    DEVLIN HAGAN            20 M  CANAAN, NH              21:08  6:49
    8   3/8    CHRISTOPHER CLASBY 55 M  ANDOVER, NH            21:20  6:53
    9   1/2    SEAN PATTEN              49 M  ALLENSTOWN, NH      21:48  7:02
   10   1/6   MELANIE WILLIAMS     30 F  MANCHESTER, NH       22:01  7:06







No comments: