Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Loon Mountain - USA mountain running champs


Loon Mountain – USA Mountain running championship
I was pretty excited to be heading back to Loon for yet another Mountain running national championship.  This would be my last one in the 50-54 age group and I wanted to make a good showing.  With CMS teammate Tim Van Orden on the sidelines (possible stress fracture) it looked like a three man race for the title.  As has been the case the last couple of years the guys I’d be most worried about were teammate Erik Vandendries and acidotic Racing’s Jim Boule.  We’d already raced a number of times this year and we each had our strengths.  Erik buried me at the three New England road race championships (1/2 marathon, 15km, and 5m) and also destroyed me at Pack Monadnock.  Jim has been doing some insane training with a LOT of climbing, it payed off as he beat me by 2.5 minutes at Mt Cranmore. 
I started the weekend early driving up to Lincoln on Friday morning and getting a nice run in on the Lincoln woods rail trail.  I met up with good friend Richard Bolt who was in town acting as the liaison for the race.  The next morning I did a fairly easy 6 miles from Lincoln up to the Franconia notch and back.  A front had passed and the humidity was gone and it was 47 degrees at sunrise.  Nice!  Later I met up with Richard and we hiked the course to ensure that all the markings were good and to put out some “inspirational” signs.  We spent 2:45 hiking the course, the markings were great and the course was in fine shape.  We spotted a bear at 4 miles which was cool.  At the summit we bumped into some volunteers including Jim Boule who was helping set up the 300 gallons of water at the finish.  After getting down to the base I did another 3 miles of easy running then headed for the hotel to ice my swollen and sore ankles.  I was hoping I hadn’t done too much.
I got up pretty early on race morning, well not really early for me, in deference to the 8am start time.  I had already picked up my number so I just needed to get over in time to park and see if anyone wanted to do a warm-up.  The race site was very organized, it had to be as they were expecting nearly 1,000 runners.  I met up with Erik V and Paul Baz and we headed out for a nice and easy 3 mile warm-up.  I got into my Inov-8 trail shoes and did another ½ mile with Dave La.  Then suddenly it was time to line up!  I finished around 40th in the last couple of USA championships so I figured second row on the starting line would be a good place to plunk myself.  My plan was to keep Erik V in sight for as long as possible and hopefully beat him on the final downhill and gap him enough to stay ahead on the final climb.  My plan for Jim Boule was to hope that by staying close to Erik we’d be able to drop him as the flatter faster stuff isn’t his specialty.  I had a feeling he’d go by me on the longest steadiest climb as that has been his strength.  No more time to think.  Chris Dunn gave the command and whistle and we were off.
The first ¼ mile has a bunch of quick tight turns and my number 1 goal was to not get trampled.  It was your basic Cross-Country race start with people flying all over the place trying to get position, which is kind of funny as this is a very wide course and most people would be out there for a lot more than 1 hour.  Plenty of time to race.  Almost immediately I found myself behind Erik and 49-year-old CMS runner (our youngest team entrant!) Steve Brightman.  This was right where I wanted to be and Jim Boule was right there in the mix.  Game on!
After the opening rolling mile we got into the first steady climb up to the XC course.  I love cutting tangents and did a couple of checks to make sure it was clear and Jim called out “all clear”, I cut in and he proceeded to clip my heels.  We both got a good chuckle out of that.  As we turned onto the XC section we were all together.  I pushed on the first downhill and got by Erik (his weakness is the downhill stuff).  For the next 2 miles I slowly pulled away from Erik as I passed some faster starters and work quite a bit of this section with Steve.  The trail was in very good shape and I didn’t roll an ankle or take a spill so mission accomplished.
Once we exited the XC section the MOUNTAIN part of the mountain race starts.  The first climb isn’t that long but you have a lot of race left.  After a quick downhill we hit the grass climb.  This is my favorite part of the course.  So many people start walking here!  I shortened my stride and just kept moving along.  I passed at least 10 people on this part.  Then my LEAST favorite part of the course the short downhill into the 180 degree turn.  The dirt cat track features loose sand and rock, as with any of the cat track sections running on the edges offers the best footing.  I took a sneak peek back on the 180 and saw that Jim was still right there (5-10 seconds back).  I could also see Steve but Erik was not in sight.  The LONG climb of 9/10ths of a mile has 750’ of climb.  The sun was out and it seemed hotter than the 70 degrees.  I kept focused on the guys in front of me, trying to figure out when (if) I’d catch them.  Although I was pushing I kept thinking “Settle in when Jim catches you, then work the final downhill”. 
Finally, I reached the 1 mile to go sign and the water-stop at the gondola.  There were a lot of spectators here and I kept listening to Andy Sachat announcing to gauge how far back Jim was.  He hadn’t caught me but maintained the distance (about 10 seconds back now).  I safely got down the steep grass section then aired it out the best I could on the ½ mile drop.  As I turned the corner onto the Upper Walking Boss I took another look and there were a couple of guys pretty close behind me, but I couldn’t see if one of them was Jim (or Erik).  I got into my short-stride rapid turnover climbing gait and quickly closed on a few guys.  I ended up passing 6 guys on the climb (I had the 19th fastest time of the day on UWB).  I did not feel great, the early fast running was taking its toll.  I dropped into power-walking mode and passed a couple more (GCS’s Brandon Naro was my last catch of the day).  There were two short sections of using my hands it was so steep, there was a washout that you had to climb which was rough.  The last 100 meters on the top seemed to take forever.
I managed to hold my place and take Gold in the 50-54 finishing 38th overall and 5th over the age of 40.  Jim came in about 35 seconds later and Erik another minute after to score the Silver and Bronze.  Steve came in right after Erik and that would be our masters team (40+) that would take the win.  Dave La was 10th in the 50+ and our third man on the winning 50+ team.  Paul Baz led the way in the 60+ as CMS also got a win in that team category.  The only division we didn’t win was the Open where we took Bronze.  All in all a great day for the team!
Top 10 in the 50-54
1        1:01:47         Dave Dunham          54      Bradford        MA     CMS
2        1:02:24         Jim Boule                51      Campton       NH      aR
3        1:03:58         Erik Vandendries       53      Chestnut Hill   MA     CMS
4        1:07:02         Chris Smith              52      Woburn         MA     SRR
5        1:07:10         Sean Snow              51      Dunbarton     NH     
6        1:09:51         Jeff Walker              52      Falmouth       ME      Dirigo
7        1:10:41         Neil Wheaton           50      Winchester     MA    
8        1:12:40         Ray Johnson            54      Littleton        MA    
9        1:12:55         Peter Burke              50      Westbrook     ME      Dirigo
10      1:13:21         David Lapierre          54      Chelmsford    MA     CMS
                                                                            
                                                                            
13      1:15:46         Paul Young              52      North Andover MA     CMS
17      1:20:01         Ed Sheldon              53      Hooksett       NH      CMS
 
Erik V, me, and Jim B


No comments: