Thursday, August 16, 2018

Wonderland trail part 4 – (Thursday)


Andy Holak (Adventure Running) assured us all that our legs would be “made of steel” by this day.  I kind of hobbled around the campground unsure of what he meant by that unless he meant stiff as steel.  Anyway, we had a good breakfast and everyone took off at various times over the morning.  We’d be doing 18 miles with 4,800’ of climb and meet at Box Canyon.  With staggered starts we’d all meet up along the trail.  Tyler and I were the last to go, and after the high river crossing (1/2 mile into the run) I was on my own as Tyler was moving well.  I put on my headphones and counted down the miles to Panhandle Gap (the highest point on the Wonderland trail).  There was some excellent trail running on this section with forest, open woods, barren open areas, and glacier views.  I could see some of the guys up ahead as I closed on the top.  A bunch of us reached the top at the same time which was fun.  After that I trailed the group as we started a long rough descent.  After a bit I passed Chris (RI) then Doug.  After the rocky part it seemed like we had ENDLESS steps to descend.  I never caught sight of Luka, Tyler, or Mel who were motoring on the downhill.  I did catch up to Shaun who was soaking in the lake at Indian Bar.  I had already stopped at the other side of the lake for water so I didn’t really stay long.  The climb out of there was tough, then it was a bunch of switchback downhills into Box Canyon.  I was definitely counting down the miles on another 90 degree day.  I reached the end in a little over 4.5 hours and was happy to see the van and some ice cold beverages.  Again we had a nice set-up with chairs lined up in the shade and we got to check out everyone else coming in.  The group dynamic was a lot of fun.  Just a bunch of folks suffering through the same stuff, and paying to do so!  We drove over to Ohanapecosh campsite and set up, then spent a few hours swimming in the river.  It was a very relaxing end to the day.  Dinner was build your own pizza.  Doug and I won the build contest.  His half of the pizza featured pepperoni lined up like bowling pins.  My half had EVERY ingredient on the menu and then I lined the outside of the crust with jelly beans.  It was delicious!
















No comments: