Monday, July 8, 2019

Loon Mountain race


I like the Loon mountain race so much I (accidently) entered it twice!  They had a special $15 entry fee back in January, so I entered.  June rolled around and I decided I wanted to do Loon and entered it again.  D’oh!

I had a bad migraine on Saturday morning and slept most of the day and into the night.  I got up early on Sunday and had a coffee.  Caffeine is usually good during a migraine but not so good post-migraine so I made sure to have some extra water for the long drive to Loon.  I picked up Dave La at the Rivah and we covered the 110 miles on Route 93 in a quick 1:40.  That gave us ample time to get our numbers then mosey over to the mile mark to watch the women go by.  They started at 8am and we’d head out 75 minutes later.  Dave and I met up with teammates Pat Rich and Ed Sheldon and were joined by a couple of non-CMS for a nice easy 3 mile warm-up.  Conditions were great, about 70 degrees but very dry and comfortable.  My goal for today was to see if I could top the Senior (50+) age group.  That would be a tough goal.  Jim Boule (aR) was running very well and had a super race at Cranmore.  My teammates would also be tough challenges.  Erik Vandendries beat me by 2+ minutes at Mt Washington and can really motor on the uphill, his knee is still wonky so his downhill running slows him a lot.  Steve Brightman would most likely be the guy to keep an eye on.  He has speed, strength, and can climb with the best (buried me in the last mile at Mt Washington).  He goes out pretty hard, so he’d have a target on his back during the race.

A record field gathered in the lower dirt lot and there was a lot of hooting and hollerin’ as we took off.  I was very cautious after the debacle at Chelmsford and made sure not to get tripped up.  There would be plenty of time to race.  At about ¼ mile we got onto the cat-track and I gave a quick count of those ahead of me.  I got to 50 then gave up counting.  Damn!  Last year I placed 38th and that race was a national championship.  I know I’ve slowed a lot, but I figured on a top 20 finish this year.  I was about 70th at that point but certainly not panicking.  I was where I should be, I could see Steve up ahead and Erik V and Ed Sheldon as well.  I passed Ed then Erik on the downhill heading into the mile.  Now the first steady climb brought a few guys back and I kept my head up focusing on where Steve was.  As we turned on to the XC portion of the course he was about 15 seconds ahead. 

My goal for the 2.5 miles of XC was to not get hurt.  There is always a fair amount of mud and it gets narrow in spots.  I was happy with the pace and the course conditions were quite good.  The 500 women who’d run through hadn’t really turned it into the quagmire I’d feared.  I stayed on my feet and slowly moved by a few more guys.  My mantra at this race is always “the race STARTS after the XC part”.  Once you exit the woods you’ve run more than half the distance but probably only 1/3rd of the time.  The really climbing starts after the XC part.  I hit the water stop and grabbed 2 cups, poured one over my head and then shared the other with Jim Boule who had pulled up along side me right after the aid station.  The grind started, and I settled in behind Jim.  We got a couple of guys on the cat-track then I moved ahead of Jim on the downhill.  The really tough grass climb was in good shape the women had packed out two pretty good paths, so it was actually a bit easier to pass than in other years.  I finally got up to and around Mike Narcisi who is running really well right now.  I could see that Steve was about 30 seconds ahead and showing no signs of slowing.  After the grass hill the very short downhill felt good and the 180 turn on the cat-track is a great spot to check out who is stalking you.  Jim was right there but I didn’t see anyone else in the 50+ within striking distance.  I think this climb is worse than the Upper Walking Boss, it is all on exposed cat-track and the footing can be crappy.  I had a “bad patch” right away when we started climbing, I should have chalked it up to how steep that part is but had thoughts of “never again” running through my head.  Jim hadn’t caught back up to me yet and I was closing on some guys when I noticed that Steve was walking.  He does that a lot (even at Mt Washington) and it good at it but this looked more like WALKING rather than power-walking (he was having calf issues).  This gave me some hope.  I had looked at last year’s results and knew that I’d run over a minute faster than Steve at the Upper Walking Boss, so my goal was to have him within that range when I got there.  My hope now was that I could gap Jim as he was probably going to run as fast if not faster than me on the UWB.

I finally got to the gondola aid station and then tried to enjoy the long final downhill before the signature climb.  Steve was not pulling ahead on the down, but I had no idea where Jim was behind me (and I wasn’t going to look).  Some guy in a Spartan singlet kept yelling “Boo Yah” at me whenever he passed me (or I passed him back), it was very strange, but I didn’t say anything.  What do you say?  Finally, the UWB timing mat loomed in sight and I checked my watch to see how far Steve was ahead (15 seconds), then SLAM the climb started.  I felt that I was steady on the climb, it was slow running, but I ran the entire length.  This year was a little unusual as there were a lot of women to pass which made things a bit trickier than usual.  You really had to time things carefully and pick your spots to pass. I was very happy to see that they were using the two switch-backs this year.  The last couple of years we went straight up them which was a definite scramble.  This time we’d get a moderate grade and a couple of times to sneak a peek at who was close behind.  This comes at the perfect spot as you are about ¾ of the way up.  I took a long look back and didn’t see any of my fellow 50+ in striking range.  The last part was nice as there were a lot of people on the course cheering.  I got to the line then hit the ground for some recovery.  Jim came in very soon after me and Steve was right on his tail.  We ended up all within 31 seconds.  Based on last year (and how much I’d slowed) I figured on a low 1:03 for a time so 1:03:43 wasn’t way out.  Comparing others times from last year shows that many ran a couple of minutes slower.  I’m not sure why since the course was in good shape and the weather was ideal.

Top 5
1          53:19    1          MOPEN  Lee Berube         M28      Syracuse NY       Syracuse Track Club
2          55:15    2          MOPEN  Adam Martin       M24      Craftsbury VT      Craftsbury Green
3          55:42    3          MOPEN  Hubert Fortin      M22      Québec QC         La Clinique du Coureur
4          57:29    4          MOPEN  Brandon Newbould M37    Nottingham NH   Whirlaway
5          57:54    1          M40-49  Justin Freeman   M42      Campton NH       Dirigo RC
                                                                                                                       
23         1:02:41 3          M40-49  Todd Callaghan   M          49         Beverly  MA        Central Mass Striders
27         1:03:23 6          M40-49  Patrick Rich        M          42         S Hamilton MA    Central Mass Striders
                                                                                                                       
M50+
30         1:03:43 1          M50-59  Dave Dunham     M          55         Bradford MA        Central Mass Striders
32         1:04:15 2          M50-59  Jim Boule           M          52         Campton NH        acidotic RACING
33         1:04:22 3          M50-59  Steve Brightman M          50         Providence RI     Central Mass Striders
44         1:06:42 4          M50-59  Jeff Walker         M          53         Falmouth ME      Dirigo RC
45         1:06:54 5          M50-59  Erik Vandendries M          54         Chestnut Hill MA  Central Mass Striders
53         1:09:54 6          M50-59  Chris Smith         M          53         Woburn MA         Somerville Road Runners
54         1:09:55 7          M50-59  Brian Ruhm        M          54         Hollis NH            Gate City Striders
57         1:10:06 8          M50-59  Sean Snow         M          52         Dunbarton NH     Team Zoot
63         1:10:51 9          M50-59  Ed Sheldon         M          54         Hooksett NH       Central Mass Striders
68         1:11:37 10         M50-59  Billy Barone        M          54         Stamford CT       Soundrunners
140       1:20:05 22         M50-59  David Lapierre    M          55         Chelmsford MA    Central Mass Striders

No comments: