Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Looking way back

40 years ago – November of 1979: I finished up my first year of cross-country at Billerica High running two races early in the month.  On Nov. 3 I ran the 2 mile D1 sophomore State Coaches race at Franklin Park.  I didn’t record my time probably because I finished 55th in a field of 150.  I was coming back from a badly sprained ankle and not really fit for racing but XC is such a short season you’ve got to go.  Three days later I finished the season racing against Chelmsford in the JV race.  I took 6th place in the 2.6 mile race in 15:15 but took solace in the fact that I beat Chelmsford’s Keith O’Brien (15:27).

35 years ago – November of 1984:  I only ran two races this month, but they were both pretty important.  On Nov. 3 the U-Lowell team headed to Indiana PA for the Div. 2 cross-country regional qualifiers.  I ended up leading the squad with a sixth place (31:51) finish.  Two weeks later we were off to Jackson MS for Nationals.  We had a heck of a time finding the course and when coach asked for directions we were told “turn left at the big wire house”.  None of us had any idea what a “wire house” was.  Eventually we found the turn near a big WHAREHOUSE.  Too funny.  I had a decent day at Nationals, taking 11th place in 30:48.  Dave Quintal missed All-American status by one place (26th in 31:12).  The team took 8th place with 216 points.  
                                                                                                                           
That is me, fourth from the right

30 years ago – November of 1989:  Bothered early on in the month with a minor hamstring strain (1 day off) total of 302 miles for the month and two races.  My goal for this month was the USA XC championships in San Francisco.  On 11/12/89 I ran the New England (NEAC) championships over a 10km course in Smithfield RI.  I was feeling very stale and had a very disappointing day.  The course was muddy, and temps were in the 40s, which should translate into a perfect day for XC racing.  I finished in 17th place (32:15).  Two-time Olympian Bob Kempainen won in 30:51. Two weeks later I had one of my worst races.  I finished 78th over 6.4 miles at the Polo Fields in San Francisco.  It was pouring rain and 60 degrees.  I felt awful the entire time.

25 years ago – November of 1994:  Cortisone shot in my right foot (4 days off) no races during this month.
20 years ago – November of 1999:  Another cortisone shot in my left ankle and two weeks in the boot, no races

No comments: