Sunday, July 26, 2020

Looking back - 25 years ago


Looking back 25 years ago (July 1995): I spent most of July 1995 working in Kansas City helping prepare a new computer system for the IRS. I put in over 105 miles per week in temperatures that rarely went under 100 and topped out at 109 degrees with a Heat Index of 120. Prior to leaving I took on 1,000 challengers at the Bridgton Maine “Four on the Fourth”. Dan Verrington and I ran together to the top of the hill at half-way then I broke away. I won in 19:18 and Dan took second in 19:34.


Four days later I got my first win in Missouri with a 15:17 at the Faucett MO 5k in 95 degree temps. The course was a tough rolling out/back and I counted 12 hills.  Second place was a little over a minute back. The next weekend I had some serious competition in Kansas City Kansas for the Mid-Summer 5k. Mark Curp (Lee’s Summit, MO) was the American record holder for the half-marathon at the time (with a 1:00:55). He showed up at this race to do an easy workout. I think he was surprised when I went with him for the first mile. He went on to win in 14:52 and I took second in 15:12 in high heat and humidity.  Third place cracked 16 with a 15:52.



No comments: