Wednesday, July 29, 2020

Looking back - 5 years ago


Looking back 5 years ago (July 2015):  I came off of the Mt Washington road race with a slightly strained calf muscle which had me seriously considering not going to the Loon Mountain race over the July 4th weekend.  I really wanted to do Loon as it is one of my favorite races.  I’ve had good luck at Loon and only missed it once in the 10 years it has been held. The course was slightly modified from last year due to construction.  They cut out the first ½ mile of flat running on dirt and pavement and instead we’d climb 50’ up a grass hill in the first 1/10th of a mile and catch onto the course on the access road.  They also added back the ½ mile drop from the top of the Upper Walking Boss (UWB) back down to the Gondola. 

With nearly 400 others we went off up the grass slope and onto the cat track.  I found myself in about 50th place in the first ½ mile.  I had moved up to about 30th place by the mile and felt the 2 miles of XC were just a place to maintain pace and hopefully not break an ankle in the mud and rocks.  I came out of the loop 30+ seconds behind Erik Vandendries and 15 behind teammate Jim Pawlicki.  At 3.7 miles we hit the first punishing climb of the race.  I started reeling people in which always feels good, even when you are hurting.  I grabbed a water at the Gondola (5 miles) and on the first steep pitch heading down to UWB I passed Erik.  I could see teammate Matt Veiga up ahead and set my sights on him.

Finally I hit the Upper Walking Boss, which is the defining feature of the course.  It is a 1km (.6 mile) stretch with 40% grades.  I caught Matt pretty quickly and he said something like “they are all catchable”.  I kept looking up and seeing the guys walking above me.  As I neared the top I caught teammate Chris Mahoney and very nearly caught Scott Leslie who was battling with Ethan Nedeau. Then we hit the downhill, dropping 350’ in ½ mile, and those guys in front were out of sight.  About halfway down the slope Chris apologized as he went by!  I hit the bottom and pushed for the line hoping that no one was closing on me.  I was happy to find out later that I’d taken the win in the 50+ with Erik taking 2nd 52 seconds behind me.

1 Josh Ferenc                33         Athens VT          56:48 Wild Endurance
2 Ryan Kelly                  33         Concord NH        57:08 Acidotic Racing
3 Justin Freeman          38         New Hampt NH   58:10
4 Drew Best                  33         Amherst MA        58:27 Acidotic Racing
5 Kris Freeman              34         Thornton NH       58:38

7 Todd Callaghan            45         Beverly MA         M          1:00:06 Central Mass Striders
11 Scott Leslie               34         Rutland MA         M          1:02:23 Central Mass Striders
12 Chris Mahoney           37         Westford MA       M          1:02:57 Central Mass Striders
13 Dave Dunham            51         Ward Hill MA       M          1:03:20 Central Mass Striders
16 Erik Vandendries       50    Chestnut Hill MA  M          1:04:12 Central Mass Striders
17 Matthew Veiga           28         Lynn MA             M          1:04:19 Central Mass Striders

 M50
13         Dave Dunham    51         Ward Hill MA       1:03:20 Central Mass Striders
16         Erik Vandendries 50         Chestnut Hill MA  1:04:12 Central Mass Striders
19         Jeff Hunt            51         Concord MA        1:04:37 Gate City Striders
45         Dan Verrington   53         Bradford MA       1:11:52 Central Mass Striders


I got a free entry to the Level Renner 10k (07/19/15) as a contributor to the magazine.  It is rare to get a freebie so I like to take advantage when I can.  I wasn’t feeling great during the week and the hot and humid weather predicted for race day wasn’t helping me to feel any better..  My original goal was to run under 6:00 pace but considering the weather I thought aiming for right at 6’s might be do-able. 

The field was pretty stacked as there was some open money in addition to some team money and masters cash. 

The field of 200+ seemed to blast out at the start. By the mile (just under 6) I was in the middle of a group that was also running just under 6’s.  I passed through the 3 mile mark just under 18 minutes (17:58). It was really hot and humid over the next 2 miles which were mostly unshaded.  I crossed the line in 22nd place running 37:22, glad to be done.


Pawlicki & Shairs

1 31:15             Glarius Rop                31M      W SPRINGFIELD 5:02
2 32:50             Dan Vassallo              30M      PEABODY MA      5:17
3 33:17             Bob Bond                  26M      BRIGHTON MA    5:21

7 34:27             Gregory Putnam         45M      STONEHAM MA    5:33
8 35:27             Joe Shairs                 47M      PEABODY MA      5:42
15 36:30          James Pawlicki           40M      LYNN MA            5:53
20 37:15          Arthur Besse              42M      TEMPLETON MA  6:00
22 37:22          Dave Dunham            51M      BRADFORD MA    6:01
                                                                                   
Top 50+                                                    
1          36:43    John Sullivan             54         WEST ROXBURY  MA        5:55
2          37:22    Dave Dunham            51         BRADFORD         MA        6:01
3          38:46    Gary Cattarin             52         MARLBOROUGH   MA        6:14 

No comments: