Monday, November 30, 2020

Chelmsford XC

 Next up was one of my favorites, the Chelmsford (and friends) Alumni Cross-Country race.  This was my tenth time running over the last 15 years which ranks this 13th on my list of “most times raced”.   Keith O’Brien has a lot of fun putting this race on and I’ve enjoyed meeting up with friends/rivals over the years.  I headed over a little early in order to run the course as a warm-up.  Scott Grandfield (who I’d invited) joined me as we checked out the figure 8 course.  He noted that navigation wasn’t his strong point and his plan was to follow me.  I doubted he’d do that as he is a lot faster than me.  O’b lined us up for the socially distanced pre-race photo and we were off.  Scott shot out to the lead and I tried my best to hang close.  My goal was to run around 6-flat pace.  Tony Ly (Lowell Tech & GLRR) was right behind me as we looped the soccer fields.  A few times I had to call out “left” or “right” to Scott as he was indeed having trouble staying on course.   Tony went by me around the mile (5:53) which is always the quickest mile with it being flat or down.  After that there is a little climb up to the school and I lost contact as both pulled away.  I did close a little as they added a bit not cutting the tangent heading into the “reverse loop”.  This would be the last time I’d be close enough to shout out directions.  I reached 2 miles in 12:14 but was feeling ragged (maybe I shouldn’t have done that hard 5k mid-week?).  I kept it together for the final loop around the school and reached 3 miles in 18:20 and with a kick of everything I had I hit the line in 19:30 for 6:06 pace over the 3.2 mile course.  I was pleased with the effort if not quite the time I wanted.  Scott had a solid run finishing over 30 seconds ahead with Tony half-way between us.  In all 19 finished the race which is pretty typical numbers for this race.  The awards ceremony is always interesting as O’B gives away a lot of unusual items.  I picked up 4 rolls of toilet paper.  Others got cookies, chips, soap, discount steaks, and a box of paper-clips. 




No comments: