Saturday, November 21, 2020

Looking back - November 2000

 20 years ago (November 2000): I was definitely trying to recover during this month after all the marathon’s and the ultra I had done over the previous couple of months.  My goal was to win the Hockomock Swamp Rat series and that meant I needed to be out there doing HSR races.  I kicked off the month (11/04/00) with the Weekend Before Hunting season 10.5 mile trail race in Sandown NH.  I was definitely still feeling the impact of the Cape Cod marathon from six days prior.  I have nothing in my training log about this just that I warmed up with Petey and Rob Smith.  I finished in third place running 1:10:11.  A week later I returned to Tewksbury for the 15k Turkey Trot.  I had the course record (46:37) but was not in that kind of form this year.  I went out with the lead pack (Dan Verrington, Chris Teague, and Eric Beauchesne).  Teague fell off at 3 miles, probably from the effort of winning the 5k (15:17) earlier that morning.  Dan took off at 4 miles and I went with Eric in pursuit.  I fell off after 7 miles taking 3rd place in 49:29. Next up was the Feaster Five in Andover MA on Thanksgiving Day.   It was cold (23 degrees) and very windy.  I had a slow start out in 6th place and slowly moved up to 3rd place by 2 miles.  I closed on Dan Verrington but couldn’t quite catch him (25:12 to 25:14).  Three days later I ran a very icy 5 mile at the Monty Mountain in Leominster.  I didn’t get into an accident but did spin out the car on the way to the race.  I went out with Ramos for the first ½ of the trace but couldn’t stick with him taking 2nd place in 27:02.                                                                                                                                                                                                               

No comments: