Saturday, January 9, 2021

Looking back - 10 years ago

10 years ago (January 2011) – This was the second year in a row that I kicked things off with the Wicked Frosty Four.   Conditions were pretty near ideal with temps in the upper 40s, no wind and partly cloudy skies.  It a record field (449 last year) lined up for the start on the cobblestones. As we headed out it was just me and Alex Gomes by the first turn. We hit the mile in 5:25 which was a couple of seconds slower than last year. I was still with him at 2m (10:57/5:32) but right after 2 I began to fall off. Alex slowly pulled away.  I hit 3m in 16:33 (5:36).  I knew I had a shot at a 40+ PR and I kept working. I crossed the line in second place in 22:07 (5:34) which put me 15 seconds up on last years’ time and one place better. Alex cruised to victory at about 21:30, just shy of Mike Quintal's record from last year.
 
Unfortunately, the next week was not what I’d hoped it would be. I ran 5 on Wednesday morning and after the run my back began to hurt by 9am I was in agony. With continued therapy I started back after missing 7 consecutive days. I headed up to Intervale NH for the first annual Whitaker Woods 4 mile snowshoe race and it was 5 degrees when I went through North Conway and there were some spectacular views of Mt Washington.  About 50 people lined up and the race went out fast. I wasn’t in the top 10 in the first 200m through the baseball field. I slowly moved up and was in 8th on the first big climb. By the mile I was in 6th.  All in all, it was a fun event, just a bit too fast for me. Kevin Tilton not only directed and timed but also finished in 3rd place.
 
Whitaker Woods 4m Snowshoe Race Intervale, NH, January 22, 2011
1          26:53 Jim Johnson           M33      CMS
2          28:00 Judson Cake          M33      Acidotic
3          28:09 Kevin Tilton           M29      CMS
4          28:51 Tim Cox                 M37      Acidotic
5           29:29 Ryan Kelly             M29      Acidotic
6           29:39 Dave Dunham        M46      CMS
7           29:59 Sean Snow            M44     
8           30:10 Danny Ferreira       M28      Acidotic
9           30:21 Robert Jackman      M28      TNT

 
The second half of the double-header weekend was the 2nd annual Constitution hill race in Lanesboro, MA. It was 2 degrees but sunny. Most of the course had not been broken and some that had been broken had drifting. This was going to be SLOW, just what I like. I got on my race gear which included a bib with a “target” on it. By 200 meters in I was leading. The entire field was right behind me, getting better footing as each person packed it down.  I stayed out in front for 20 minutes then Tim Van Orden took over for a bit. We hit the snowmobile trail and he took off. I reeled him back in on the climb up Constitution hill as he slowed breaking trail in the deep untracked snow. I took the lead again on top of the ridge as Tim Mahoney and Ken Clark closed in on us.  Tim and Ken went to the front as TiVo and I stepped aside. They only lead for a short stretch as we hit the downhill and TiVo plowed by into the lead. I went around Ken near the bottom of the hill but couldn’t get around Tim M over the last ¼ mile of the race.  This was a very cool race, it reminded me of the old days of racing at WMAC when you were lucky if ANY of the course was tracked.
 
2nd ANNUAL Constitution Hill 3.7 mile snowshoe race Lanesboro, MA  01/23/2011
1          41:44 Tim Van Orden       M42 CMS
2           42:02 Tim Mahoney         M31 CMS
3          42:04 Dave Dunham        M46 CMS
4          42:29 Ken Clark               M48 HTC
5          46:19 Rich Teal               M32
6          47:19 John Pajer             M48 CMS

 
 That is me in the lead wearing the target on my back. Tim Van Orden and Tim Mahoney are right on me.
 
On the final weekend of the month, I headed up to Sandwich NH for the Sidehiller Snowshoe race. Paul Kirsch sent the record crowd of over 100 racers off on the 4 miles of scenic Sandwich. Jim Johnson sprinted to the front as usual and I found myself in about 10th place right away. I slowly worked my way up and just before we hit the single-track, I put in a big surge to get into 8th place, and by the top of the hill I found myself in 6th place. I slowly moved up on Ryan Kelley (who had outkicked me at Whitaker Woods last week). I nearly caught him when we hit the final descent at which point, he accelerated like mad and any chance of catching him disappeared. I held on for 6th place. Jim held his lead for a good portion of the race but was passed by Kevin Tilton in the last half-mile.
 
Sidehiller 4 Mile Snowshoe Race Center Sandwich, NH, January 29, 2011
1          31:47 Kevin Tilton CMS
2          31:53 Jim Johnson CMS
3          32:44 Judson Cake
4          33:22 Wesley Dinnan
5          33:59 Ryan Kelly
6          34:14 Dave Dunham CMS 40+
7          34:41 Charles Thierrault
8          34:42 Robert Jackman
9          34:48 Danny Ferreira
10         35:27 Scott McGrath CMS
11         35:41 James Pawlicki CMS



I woke up on Sunday a bit sore from Sidehiller but game to give it a shot. Curly’s record run is one of my favorite WMAC races. The course really suits my abilities with a tough climb and a short (but crazy steep) descent.  A record crowd of 117 took off like a shot! Jim Johnson headed out to the front despite telling me his plan was to take it easy for the first couple of miles. I was in 6th as we hit the road and started to climb. I slowly ran down a couple of the faster starters. I steadily closed on Ross Krause but couldn’t quite catch him. At 17 minutes I hit the top of the climb and then the craziness starts.  “Curly’s Record Run” is named for Curly Voll who set the course record of 1:10 to descend the Shadow trail.  The trail was used in the 1920’s for ski races and drops 800’ over 4/10ths of a mile. I hit the bottom and the few little climbs left really had me gasping for breath. JJ ended up with a solid victory. 
 
Curly's Record Run - 4 mile snowshoe race Pittsfield, MA, 01/30/2011
1          30:56    Jim Johnson       CMS
2          32:46    Ross Krause
3          33:35    Dave Dunham     CMS 40+
4          34:09    Tim Mahoney      CMS
5          34:37    Tim Van Orden    CMS 40+
13         39:41    John Pajer          CMS 40+

No comments: