Thursday, January 7, 2021

Looking back - 20 years ago

20 years ago (January 2001) - Five races and five wins to kick off the new millennium. I also had a big mileage month covering 491 miles with weeks of 101, 108, 115, and 116.  I started off with a “Rat Race” win at the Weary Traveler running 25:03 on the “short five” course.  K Gorman (25:37) and K Gartner (26:03) took second and third. The following week I won at the South Pond Shuffle (01/13/01), topping Keith Schmitt by 19 seconds with a 32:49 over 4 miles. Robert Molnar joined me for the trek to Western Mass and took fourth place.

I followed that up with a win at Greylock glen (01/20/01), which (at the time) was the snowshoe race I’ve done the most times (seven). Robert moved up a spot taking 3rd on that day.  The following day I won the tough Boston Prep 16 mile (01/21/01) in an awful snowstorm. I would have been better off racing in snowshoes!  The best part of the day was the warm-up (and warm-down) with Petey, Robert, BJ, and Mike B! The final race of the year was a very fast snowshoe race in Stillwater NY (01/27/01). As I recall Robert Molnar broke his snowshoe and was disqualified (despite how much more difficult it was to run in one shoe)! I covered four miles in 26:27 topping Leigh Schmitt by two minutes.





No comments: