Sunday, April 18, 2021

Looking back - 30 years ago (April 1991)

30 years ago – April 1991: I was all over the charts racing from 1 mile on the track to 12 miles on the trails and race sizes from a field of five to over 2,300. I started (04/07/91) the month with a win at the “Wang run”, no it wasn’t a naked race, it was run from the Wang offices in Lowell. I ran 25:31 for the win on a hot (85 degree) day for that early in the spring. In my log I noted that the five miles was “quite a bit longer than advertised” and that Mixon, Alvey and Nasatka took it out hard and then I made a move after 2 miles with Nasatka throwing surges at me.  A couple of days later I did a reasonably hard 3 mile “tempo run” in 14:25 on the Dracut high school track and then (04/15/91) I went down to Washington DC for the Sallie Mae 10k. I’m not sure why I went but I think they were listed in “Road Race Management guide”, which listed prize money races and what you needed to do to qualify for invitation.  They were willing to fly me down and put me in a hotel, so I went.  I had a lousy run with a 30:21 for 10th place. The next week (04/21/91) I ran the always interesting Leatherman’s 10k trail race in NY. I ended up losing by three seconds to British Fell runner Andy Moffatt (37:23 to 37:26), Petey took 3rd in 39:26.  A couple of days later I tried to get my legs moving again with a track workout.  This time Artie led me for the first ¼ as I did 5 x ½ mile in 2:13, 2:15, 2:14, 2:14, and 2:12 with ¼ rest. That weekend (04/27/91) I battled Scott Clark over a mile at the Granite state mile during a track meet at Londonderry High School. I took first in 4:20.9 with Scott a little over 2 seconds back.  The following day (04/28/91) I really changed speeds doing the Seven Sisters trail race in Amherst. I went off course twice losing over five minutes and ended up losing to Moffat again, this time by a little over 2 minutes. I found the course to be way too rough for me and vowed to never run it again (15 years later I ran it again and it was still too dangerous for me).

 










No comments: