Monday, May 17, 2021

Canterbury Shaker Village XC race

Finally, the long anticipated Capital Area Race Series (CARS) kicked off!  The series was shelved in 2020 (although I did run a couple of the races as boot-leg DIY events).  The schedule was a bit shuffled this year and the first race was the Canterbury Shaker Village 5k XC.  I was still feeling the impact of my second COVID shot on Thursday.  I felt better but not 100% as I was a still a bit shaky and even felt a little hungover.  The 10am start meant it’d be warm (at least warm for mid-May) and buggy for this tough and hilly cross-country race.  I met up with a bunch of the gang and we went out to preview the course.  That is always important as you never know how well it will be marked.  It was fun catching up with the guys and also ragging on Christin Doneski (for sandbagging – she was seeded with #45 a good 30 spots behind where she probably should be).  The course was much drier than years past and had just a couple of minor tweaks from how it had been run in the past.  After the warm-up I headed back and switched into trail shoes and got in another mile before heading to the starting corral.  This would be another race with runners heading off in time-trial format. This time a runner would go every 5 seconds.

I was the seventh runner to start and could see the six guys in front of me as we traversed the edges of the cow pasture in the first ½ mile.  After that I couldn’t see anyone and was on my own for a while.  I felt pretty dodgy and kept thinking I’d run the big hill (1.5 – 1.7 miles) well and that’d close me on the guy in front of me.  Instead I got to the big hill and the young kid from Oyster River who started 10 seconds after me was breathing down my neck.  He almost caught me on the climb but I held him off.  It was good to have someone to work with and I did my best to stay ahead of him. 

That worked until about ¼ mile to go when things flattened out and he sprinted away.  I shuffled into the finish pretty beat and disappointed at how slow my time was.  I kept my eye on the clock and teammate Scott Clark came storming in 16 seconds after I finished.  I’d started 20 seconds ahead of him so he got me by four seconds (2 years ago Scott got me by 2 seconds in this race) to take the 50+ title. I did get the consolation prize as the top age-graded masters finisher.  Ernie Brake’s team ended up beating our squad by .07 points!  I a weird twist his team took us with their third runner getting a time for his 5k split on his Garmin instead of his actual time.  Five people went off course at the mile and essential cut from the mile to the 2 mile mark. When they approached the finish line leading the race they were directed BACK out onto the course and ended up running about 4.5 miles.  Nice that the race allowed them to score with the 5k split but kind of a bummer as the 5k they ran did not include the toughest hill in the race.  In the long run it probably doesn’t mean anything as the series is a best 5 of 7 races and this is the slowest race so the points earned will most likely be the least.  We have a month until the next CARS race and I’m hoping that by then it won’t be a time-trial start (and I can take a shot at Clark!).

1 Drew Tuttle              17:44
2 Ed Stowell                18:07
3 Ben Neff                   18:13
4 Colton ham              18:45
5 Jotham Burnett        18:49 40+
6 Michael Eddy          19:32
7 Warren Bartlett        19:36
8 Scott Clark              19:53 50+
9 Dave Dunham         19:57 50+
10 Ernie Brake           20:23 50+
11 Jim Angell              20:24 50+
16 Christin Doneski     21:36 first female & 50+
18 Doug Deangelis      21:44 50+
28 Jim Pawlicki           22:44 40+




No comments: