Sunday, May 9, 2021

Looking back - May 2006

15 years ago:  I mixed it up on the trails and mountain during May 2006.  I was competing in a trail series along with the start of the mountain series, so plenty of fun stuff.  I started the month (05/07/06) with a return to 7-Sisters.  A very tough trail race that I had last attempted in 1991.  My goal was to not get hurt, which is not an easy goal to meet on this super-technical 12 miles traversing the Holyoke range (and then coming back).  I managed to make it through pretty much undamaged taking 17th place in 2:07:01.  The next week (05/13/06) I headed to the uphill road race in Lake George NY.  This 5.67 mile road course climbed Prospect mountain.  I lost 30 seconds to the leader on the first flat mile and stayed 30 seconds back the entire way to take 2nd place in 39:09.  A week later Dan Verrington and I headed to Saratoga NY for the Mudslinger 5 mile trail race.  I was in 2nd from 1.5 miles on with Dan about 5 seconds ahead.  I missed a turn in the last mile and lost over a minute and barely outsprinted some guy for 2nd place in 30:47.  The final weekend (05/27 & 05/28/06) had me doubling up again with Wachusett mountain on Saturday.  I took fourth place in 28:01 but really should have been 8th place as four of the top guys somehow managed to go off the very well marked course.  The next day I finished in 10th place (2nd master) at the Trav’s trail run in 16:50 over the 3 miles of cross-country racing.

 

No comments: