Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Looking back - May 2016

 5 years ago: I mixed it up a bit this month (May 2016) with two road races and two mountain races.  I started the month 05/01/16 at the Cool Kids 5k in Billerica.  The race was about a mile away from my parent’s house so I was very familiar with the roads.  It wouldn’t really help as I was all alone in second place right from the gun running a 17:51, nearly 2 minutes behind Pat Fullerton (15:55).  Only 55 turned up for the race but another hundred did the walk (including my folks).  Two weeks later I headed to Sleepy Hollow (Huntington VT) for the great little mountain race over the XC ski terrain.  I climbed well but didn’t feel great on the descents.  I ended up 15 seconds behind Jeff Walker (Dirigo) for the top 50+ spot in 23rd place overall.  The 50+ field was very strong with the top five all within 45 seconds.  Two weeks later I closed out the month with two short races.  On Saturday (05/28/16) it was a hot 84 degrees for the Wachusett mountain race.  I chose to just do the 2.85 mile climb.  I ended up 13th overall and a scant four seconds behind Erik Vandendries who won the 50+ (21:53).  Again, the 50+ was hard fought with the top 7 all within 33 seconds.  The next day I headed to Manchester NH for the Fisher Cats 3k.  It turned out to be a very short 3k (1.75 miles).  This was a very unique race as it started in the outfield of the Delta Dental Stadium and finished at home plate.  Over 200 took part and two young kids took it out really hard.  I moved into first place at ¾ mile and put 30 seconds on second place (Dave Audet) by the finish, winning in 9:54.  My prize was a luxury suite for a game, and I got to go out during the game for the awards ceremony where I got a signed baseball.




No comments: