Thursday, May 20, 2021

Workout - all downhill from here!

Got the workout done yesterday morning before it got HOT.  Doug talked me into doing the mile all-out instead of just a hard workout.  He wanted a sub-5 (by any means!) and was looking for me to keep him from going out too hard (he did his own downhill mile on New Year’s and blew up after a 68 second opening 400).  Anyway, we did a 3 mile warm-up then did an “easy” ½ mile (the first half of the 1m course) in 2:52.  The mile went well, I led us through 220 in 38 (Doug had wheel measured the route and put out marks every 220) then Doug slowly increased the tempo.  I hit the ¼ in 76 and the half in 2:29, Doug was 2:26.  The first half dropped 116’ and the second would drop another 98’.  I hit 3:45 at ¾ with Doug pulling away.  He ended up closing strong and ran 4:55.  I didn’t have much left and hit the line in 5:01.  We ran back up the hill and finished the workout with a 2:39 half and Doug noted we were both now “warmed up”.

Age graded = Doug 4:08.7 and me 4:08.1

I did a bit of research on how much you get from the drop and it seems to be about 3.6% per every 100' of down (so 7.2% for this course).  That would mean about 22 seconds at 5:01.  Not sure if I could run a flat 5:23 right now but definitely think under 5:30 is do-able.

I’ll definitely be going back out there (or somewhere) in the hope of breaking 5.  Side-note, I wore racing flats and Doug wore Nike Vaporfly’s.  I think next time I’ll wear my fast shoes!

 

DD invitational downhill mile | Run | Strava




No comments: