Tuesday, September 28, 2021

Stride along the tide 5k

 I couldn’t decide where I wanted to race now that the CARS series is over.  Jim Pawlicki was doing the Stride along the tide 5k in Nahant and that sounded interesting.  I’d only been to Nahant twice and the little island off of Lynn/Revere seemed nice.  Jim ended up scoring a free entry for me which made it even nicer.  We ran the course as a warm-up which helped to plan things out.  The course had a tough hill at ½ mile in and another from 1.5 to 2.25.  After the preview I got into racing gear and headed out for another mile.  I had to pick up the pace a bit as the field was already lined up on the road when I got back.  The field of 165 shot out and I found myself in fourth place in the early going.  I was kind of hoping for another sub-18 run and thought there might even be a shot at a win with it being a small first year race.  I moved up into second place on the first climb and was a step behind the leader at the mile.  Every time I edged a bit closer, he upped the tempo.  As we hit the second hill I pushed the pace and took the lead.  I could hear his footsteps fall off behind me.  I tried to really push on the downhill, it was tough seeing the finish arch ½ mile in the distance.  With ¼ mile to go he came back and flew by me.  I had nothing left and lost nearly 10 seconds in that last ¼.  I was able to just duck under 17:40 for my fastest time this year.  I was very happy with that especially considering the course.  As a bonus I picked up a $50 gift card.  Jim took it “easy” as he was also planning on doing a 15k the next day.  We closed out the morning with a pleasant run across the causeway and bumped into teammate Nakri Dao who ran the last mile with us.  I snuck in a second warm-down with a 4 mile run on the Narrow Gauge rail trail before stopping in to see the folks.  It was a full day!

 


Pl  Time Pace     Name                City/State           Division

1  17:30 5:39      Peter Siess         Amesbury MA      MOVRAL

2  17:39.7 5:42   Dave Dunham     Bradford MA        MOVRAL

3  18:39 6:01      Steve Dickenson  Nahant MA         MOVRAL

4  18:58 6:07      Tomas  Martinez  Beverly MA         M1929

5  19:16 6:13      Alexandra Buonfiglio Revere MA     FOVRAL

13 22:16 7:11     James Pawlicki    Lynn MA             M4049



 

No comments: