Monday, February 7, 2022

Hopkinton 5k series

 

I had no plans of racing any time soon BUT Tom Raffio (NEDD CEO) offered me a free entry to the Hopkinton 5k series, and I was looking forward to doing some running with people.  It was only 2 degrees when I showed up in Hopkinton and picked up my bib number.  They were staging the race in time-trial start format with runners going every 5 seconds.  I was “unseeded”, so I had the last pre-registered number.  That sounded good to me, that way I could catch people during the race.  I headed out on the course for a warm-up.  It was a mix of bare road and ice or snow.  The first and last tenth of a mile and from 1.3 to the turn of the out & back course were both packed snow/ice.  I ran without traction devices during the warm-up and it seemed okay.  After previewing the course, I continued for another mile as I didn’t want to stop until it was time for the race.  I ran a little over 8 minute pace and from that figured I could run around to a little under 7:30 pace. That’d be my goal.  I stayed in my full warm-up gear and heavier training shoes since this wasn’t something I was thinking of as a RACE.  Only 27 entrants, maybe due to the cold weather?  It was about 7 degrees and sunny when I took off a couple of minutes past 9am.  I counted 10 people I caught in the first half-mile which I reached in a surprising 3:22. It felt comfortably hard, not all out but a pace I thought I could maintain for the whole way.  I caught a few more as I hit the mile in 6:43. Soon after I saw Mike Mott (NHTI) cranking on his way back and he offered some encouragement.  The road turned very slick as I caught Dave Audet right before the turn and the top woman just after the turn.  That rolling part of the course was slower (6:53) but I hoped to rebound.  I knew I was in third place at that point but wasn’t sure how far ahead 2nd place was as he started over 2 minutes ahead of me. The last mile was covered in 6:34 and then the last tenth was a bit slow as I was very cautious on the ice and snow.  I was pleased with hitting 6:44 pace which was way ahead of what I’d expected.  I definitely was tentative making sure my hip felt okay and that I didn’t fall out there.  I’m not sure when I’ll do something quicker again, I’m not on any timetable and taking things one day at a time.

 
Place    Name                                       Age       City, St            Gend    Club                 #           Time
1         Michael Mott                19         Alton, NH         M          NHTI X/C         1         17:14.5
2         Michael Popham            40         Bedford, NH    M                                2         20:49.1
3         Dave Dunham               57         Bradford, MA    M                                31       20:56.2
4         Cathleen Brown             46         New Boston NHF          The B Team     6         23:02.8
5         David Audet                  56         Concord, NH    M          NMC               5         23:09.1
6         Joel Conolly                   45                               M                               34        23:25.2
7         Ben Connolly                 39                               F                                 33        23:25.8
8         William McLann             59         Bow, NH          M                                32        23:30.1
9         Ellen Raffio                  53         Bow, NH          F          Delta Dental    9          24:12.4
10       Max Goupil                    11         Contoocook NHM          Hopkinton Hawk4         24:21.4
11       David Depiano              39         Contoocook NHM          NE Multisport  8          25:33.7
12       Bill Ducasse                   46         Epsom, NH     M                               14        28:12.0
13       Kathy Denoncour           59         Concord, NH    F                                13        28:16.0
14       Tom Walton                  73         Contoocook NHM                                35        28:21.7
15       Deborah Mitchell            55         Milford, NH      F                                 12       28:25.5
16       Holly                            24         Loudon, NH     F                                 37       28:29.8
17       Kristine Blanchette         54         Warner, NH     F                                 15        29:35.5
18       Miranda Hardister           47         Concord, NH    F                                 17        29:56.9
19       Donald Bergeron            68         Hampton, NH  M                                16        31:35.2
20       Erick Costello                43         Loudon, NH     M                                36        33:53.6
21       Deborah Nasheim           64         Warner, NH     F                                 22        33:57.7
22       Bruce Johnstone            63         Weare, NH       M                                 25        35:59.7
23       Colleen Connolly            60         Pittsfield, NH   F            NMC              20        36:22.9
24       William Peters                59         Manchester NH M                                21        36:51.1
25       Tom Raffio                                65         Bow, NH         M          Delta Dental    10        38:54.0
26       Anna Moskov                41         Contoocook NH F                                26        39:10.1
27       Heather Dufield            47         Hopkinton NH F                                27        39:19.6





 

No comments: