Tuesday, July 12, 2022

Looking back - 25 & 20 years ago

25 Years ago: Lesson learned in July of 1997.  I had been running on a foot that hurt (and “really hurts” and “killing me”) for months.  On 07/02/97 I ran the weekly CMS series 5k at Lancaster MA.  I took the win in 16:02 but after finishing I was limping badly.  After driving I couldn’t stand on the foot.  It turned out to be a stress fracture that I’d been running on that now was a non-union fracture.  I had surgery to screw the bone back together and didn’t run again until December of 1997.  It would take a solid year to get back up to speed.  I hope to never make that mistake again!

 

20 Years ago: In July of 2002 I covered 343 miles with 2 days off, by the end of the month my ankle tendonitis was bad enough that I’d miss four weeks after this month.  I raced three times during the month (despite the ankle) and the results were not great.  On the fourth I ran the Carson memorial 2 mile in Chelmsford.  This is one of my favorite road races.  It takes place right before the Independence Day parade so the course is lined with “fans”.  I just barely cracked the top 10 with a 10:07 9th place finish (Nickerson won in 9:13).  Two weeks later (07/13) I ran the Harbor trail 5km in Portsmouth NH.  Dan Verrington won in 15:44 and I took second in 16:03.  The following weekend we headed up to Stowe for the USATF NE 8 mile championships.  I had a crappy day taking 36th in 44:45

 

No comments: