Saturday, February 4, 2023

Looking back February 1993

30 years ago:  I ran in six races over this month and picked up five wins.  Three of the races were more like “tempo” runs at the CMS weekly 5k.  On 02/07/93 I headed to Hampton Virginia for the Pomoco Coliseum ½ marathon.  I think I found the race via “The Road Race Management Guide” which was a very cool book you could purchase that listed all most of the “money” races within the USA.  Back in the days before the internet this was a great tool to find races, especially races that were willing to pay travel expenses on top of the chance to pick up some cash.  I had a decent race picking up 3rd place ($300) despite slowly significantly over the last four miles.  The 15-25 mph winds may have had something to do with that.  I passed 10 miles in 49:55 and the finish line in 1:05:49. A week later I headed to Worcester to take on the 5 others dumb enough to venture out on a very icy morning.  I picked up the win in 16:48. The next day I returned to Worcester for Cohen’s 5 mile.  It was windy and 35 degrees, but the footing was better.  I felt lousy but was able to take the win in 24:41 to teammate Scott Clark’s 25:23. A week later I ran 15:12 at the CMS series despite the 8 degree temperatures.  Petey (Steve Peterson) took third place in 17:20. The following weekend (02/27) I paced Petey and took home another win in a 16:51.  I saved a little something for the next day when I headed up to Concord NH for the Penacook winter challenge.  It was 15 degrees and the last couple of miles were very windy.  I put 1.5 minutes on teammate Rod Viens for the win in 24:31.               


                                                

No comments: