Wednesday, June 7, 2023

Looking back - June 1993

30 years ago (June 1993):  I continued in my quest to run in 26 CMS weekly series races, which helped me pick up NINE races during this month.  Yikes!  On 06/02/93 I finished in 5th place at the CMS series race held in Fitchburg MA.  I ran it as a workout in 19:26.  Three days later I ran the very hilly Grafton Gazebo run five mile.  I ended up in 2nd place to teammate Byrne Decker.  We had some trouble on the course as we ran through a 4 way road junction and had to yell at the volunteer “which way!”, after we guessed the wrong one.  I ran 25:25.  Four days later (06/09/93) I picked up a win at the CMS members only race.  Another hilly course and a humid 75 degree day, but I managed a sub-5 pace running 15:24.  A few days later found me in Mill Valley CA taking on the famous Dipsea course.  I ran the fastest time of the day over the 7.6 mile up/down mountain/trail race.  I didn’t cross the finish line first however as the race is handicapped (runners start times are based on age/gender).  I outkicked Mike McManus who had picked up the fastest-time prize the previous six years.  Three days later (06/16/93) I was back in Fitchburg for another CMS series raceDon Drewniak convinced me to try racewalking it.  He gave me a brief lesson prior to the race and off we went.  I believe this is the only time Drewniak beat me in a race as we walked to a 31:45 for the 5km distance.  I also became the only person that year to win a CMS series race and to also finish last in one of the races.  Three days later I was moving just about as fast as I chased Matt Carpenter up the Auto Road at Mount Washington.  I ran the fastest non-winning time taking second place in 60:44. Four days later I ran “semi-hard” whatever that means at the CMS series 5k in Fitchburg taking 4th in 17:36.  Three days later I met up with Mike Beeman (Mike Beeman’s total sports, Londonderry NH) for the Goffstown Gallop.  It was very hot and humid in the 90s.  Scored a course record with my win over the 5.2 mile course in 25:37.  Three days later I did my final race of the month, the Burbank Audubon trail race (7.6 miles).  I hung with GLRR teammate Bob Hodge for the first 5.5 miles before pulling away for the win in 41:45





No comments: