Monday, March 18, 2024

100 Hats Race

 I'd run the 100 hats race two years ago and really enjoyed this road mile.  Last year I was injured the week before the race and sadly missed it.  This year I was struggling a bit with a few minor (??) issues and wasn't sure I'd make the race.  On Wednesday I decided to test things out with a little workout.  My goal was to run 4x440 with 440 rest and try to run under 90 seconds for each.  The workout went well and none of my parts fell off, so I was fairly confident I could make it through the mile race.

I cut out of work a little early to get to Concord by 3 p.m. which would give me just enough time to warm-up.  I'd done my normal morning run and lunch run and felt decent despite getting a migraine the night before.  I'd been thinking about this race since December when I'd signed up so I was fairly jazzed up all day.  At number pick-up I thought Suzy Seagrove (RD) was a bit standoffish asking me my name and how to spell it.  I played along, thinking "maybe she just doesn't remember me".  Right after that someone greeted her with an enthusiastic "Hi Suzy" to which she replied..."Suzy is my sister".  Too funny!

I loosened up with a 3 mile warm-up and felt absolutely miserable.  I was queasy from the migraine and my knee (torn meniscus) was really unhappy with me on this damp day.  I worried that my goal of sub-5:50 was slipping away.  If I was over 6 I'd be bummed.  If all went great I might be under 5:45.  Two years ago I'd run 5:38 and taken third place.

100 of us lined up (100 hats is named for the 100 hats that Suzy knits and are given away after you finish, you get to choose based on when you get back into the gym).  I stayed way to the right side as the course takes a sharp left turn maybe 20 yards in.  I did not want to get trampled.  I got a bad start and felt like I was running in quicksand as I took the first turn in 10th place.  Some younger kids were sprinting out and a couple of contenders were out in front as well.  Each quarter mile was marked with a "Hello Kitty" doll.  I had moved up to 5th place by the quarter in 83.9.  There was a 20' "bump" to negotiate at about 600 yards and I caught a guy before the bump and was passed going over it.  By the half mile (87.9/2:51.8) I'd moved back into 5th and two of the four guys were not far ahead.  From the 1/2 mile mark you can see the 3/4 mark which is either encouraging or very discouraging.  The lead kid who had gone out like a rocket was caught right at the 3/4 mark and I rambled through about 20 seconds later having moved up to third place.  I'd hit 3/4 in 4:17.9 (86.1) and thought I had a great shot at meeting my goal.  The slight climb in the final quarter was tough but I moved into 2nd with 200 to go and ran scared to the finish.  I ended up holding my place and just missing a sub 5:45 with a 5:45.5 (rounded up to 5:46 for road racing). I got a llama hat a gnome duck, and a McDonalds gift card "with enough to buy a Shamrock Shake".

I finished out the 15 mile day with a short warm-down and 1.5 hours on the bike.  Great way to end the work week!

 Splits (marked by "Hello Kitty") 83.9, 87.9 (2:51.8), 86.1 (4:17.9), 87.6 = 5:45.5











No comments: