Tuesday, April 30, 2024

Looking back - May 1979

45 years ago – May 1979: I raced six time over the final month of my freshman outdoor track season. Kicked off the month with a personal best in the ½ mile with a 2:20.9 in a home meet against Methuen. Teammate (and Billerica High School hall-of-fame runner) Kevin Curtin won in 2:02. Two days later I ran in a freshman/sophomore meet at Wilmington. I ran a 2 mile personal best of 10:50.0 losing to Hines (Haverhill) by almost exactly one minute. Next up was the mile in a dual meet against Austin Prep where I set a mile PR of 5:28. A week later I was back in the 2 mile running an 11:03 to take fourth place in a meet against Lawrence. At this point I earned my first outdoor track letter by getting 22 points. Points were based on your place in each meet. I closed out my freshman year with an 11:04 2 mile on the Haverhill track finishing second in the Freshman Championship meet. I think it may have been the MVC or Northern Area Freshman meet.

No comments: