Thursday, March 29, 2018

Trout Creek 15km trail race




As I do every March, I headed down to Florida to visit my parents (and do their taxes).  This year I was able to find a race nearby that looked interesting.  I flew down on Saturday still feeling the remnants of New Bedford in my legs and a lousy head-cold stuffing up my sinuses.  On Sunday morn I was up at 5:30am and at 7am we drove the 30 minutes to the Trout Creek State park.  I signed up for the 15km trail race (there was a 5km starting simultaneously).  The 15km would start with a northern 10km loop then finish with the southern 5km loop.  I headed out for my warm-up hoping that I’d be able to find my way around the 5km loop and get in a sneak-peek before the race.  The course was very well marked and very run-able.  They had mentioned the last 5k was much more technical than the first 10k but it wasn’t even Colorado technical, I was going to be way overdoing it by wearing Inov-8 trail shoes (road flats would have been fine).  With very little climb and great footing I expected to run around 6:30 pace and told my parents I should come through the start again after about 40 minutes of running.

It was warming up as about 250 lined up for both races, temps were in the low 60s at the start and low 70s at the finish but comfortable in the shade.  The start was interesting as they had us line up about 30’ below the berm and we’d run up the hill right at the start.  The 15k would turn left and the 5km would go right.  I took the lead right from the start with 2 guys following right behind me.  I probably went a bit too easy the first mile (643) and then tried to pick it up a bit.  It was VERY twisty from 1 to 3 miles, we had very few sections with 100m of straight.  At the top of the 10km loop we popped out on a road and I swung wide telling the guys I was hitting the water-stop.  They both passed on getting water and moved on ahead of me.  The pace really picked up!  I stayed close until we got back on the berm and ran my fastest mile of the day (621) despite losing ground.  I was about 5 seconds behind 2nd place and 20 behind the leader at the 5 mile mark.  Soon after we hit some more twisty stuff and we both closed on the leader.  We then had a short bushwhack and a funny hill climb up a big mound of seashells!  After that we were back on the berm and heading through 10km.  Man, the leader really took off and I was feeling the distance, the warm sun, and the lack of speed.  I fell to 25 seconds back and 10 behind 2nd place.  At 7.5 I grabbed a water and checked out where 4th place was (we were headed out of a quarter mile loop) he was not into the loop yet so I had a couple of minutes on him.  Right after that the leader stopped short clutching his hamstring.  I went by him and he offered me a “go after him”.  Good plan!  Hard to execute.  I would lose sight of the new leader on the twisty parts then when we got to a straight I’d realize he wasn’t that far ahead.  My legs started to feel very heavy and I was running out of energy over the last mile.  I slowly lost ground and ended up crossing the line 24 seconds back.  First LOSER. 

This was a really nice race, they did a great job marking the course and there were plenty of aid stations (five).  I got a trophy that featured a metal runner attached to a rock.  Very ‘old school’.

Place   Time    Name                     Age      City                  Pace
    1   1:01:47 Chris Petrock            47   Tampa                    6:38
    2   1:02:11 Dave Dunham          53   Bradford, MA           6:40
    3   1:04:48 Steve Wilcox            47   Clearwater               6:57
    4   1:04:50 Chris Liston              40   Ruskin                     6:57
    5   1:05:49 Roger Hidalgo          31   Auburndale              7:04
    6   1:06:11 Bill McDonald            57   Bradenton                7:06
    7   1:06:36 Luke LeMond           38   St. Petersburg           7:09
    8   1:09:34 Jay Lund                 47   Bonita Springs           7:28
    9   1:10:28 Dan Kutina              40   Tampa                      7:34

132 finishers

1 comment:

Joe S. said...

Man, I wish you harassed an alligator.