Wednesday, May 5, 2021

Looking back - May 1991

 30 years ago: I made the most of racing in May of 1991 with only four races, but I covered 45 miles and got two wins in those races.  My first race of the month (05/05/91) was the NEAC (now USATF NE) 10 mile championship in Worcester.  Scott Bagley seemed to have the race in hand at 8 miles, at just after 9 Dennis Simoniatis and I went by and then I took Dennis in a sprint with both of us timed at 49:36.  It was one of those rare days when everything seems to come together.








A week later (05/12/91) on a hot and humid day I won the Lawrence Eagle Tribune 10 mile in 54:28. Teammate Dave LaPierre was second in 57+.  The next weekend (05/19/91) I hit the trails taking on the Soapstone Mountain.  I took the lead at the start and promptly led the top 25 people off course at the top of the mountain.  We had to plow through the rest of the field on the descent and I finally got back into the lead after a few miles.  I ended up losing the race by a couple of ticks over Brit Andy Moffat.



I finished off the month (05/26/91) with a trip out to the US 20km championships in Wheeling WV.  It was a brutal day with temps in the 80’s and 90% humidity.  Times were slow (winning time was 1:03:07).  I ended up finishing 3rd U.S. with a 1:05:31 (8th place overall) this is my best finish in a Non-Ultra U.S. championship.






No comments: