Monday, January 23, 2023

Indoor insanity 5k

 My ankle was not feeling great after the off road footing, but I decided to do a track workout (on the treadmill) mid-week.  The workout went better than expected and my ankle was no worse for the wear. Then the Indoor Insanity 5k sent out a discount code for ½ off the entry fee.  I could not resist.  I had last done the Indoor Insanity race in 2018 when it was at the Bates track.  I had not raced in Maine since then.  I like the event as it is an indoor track race but not during an indoor track MEET.  There would be three heats of the 5k with the fastest heat (15-20 minutes) starting at 8 a.m.  That is a good time of day for me and knowing the race would start at 8 and I wouldn’t be worrying about how long other events were taking certainly takes the pressure off.  My goal was to run 6:00 pace (45 seconds per lap), which based on my recent efforts would be a solid run although back in December I’d managed nearly 6 miles at 6’s.  Not sure why I’m struggling recently.

 My day started off on a high note when the guy at Irving (Circle-K) told me my large coffee was free.  The 90 minute drive to Gorham Maine went by quickly.  It was 6 degrees when I arrived, I was glad to be running indoors!  I got my number, winter hat, and spike bag and it was time to hit the track for a warm-up.  When I started (7:10 a.m.) there was no one else on the track.  A couple of guys jumped in as I was finishing my three miles.  Only six guys had signed up for the first heat which is too bad, they do a really nice job but for whatever reason it is hard to get people to race on the indoor track (outside of big track meets).  The temperature was ideal on the track although as usual the air was very dry.  I hydrated and changed into flats before getting in another mile with some strides.  Then it was time to get going.  I didn’t feel very sharp and convinced myself that whatever the first 200 meters was, that’d be the time I’d aim to hold for the entire race (with the hope it’d be 45 seconds).




Everyone shot out at the start, and I found myself in last (6th) place.  By 100 meters I got around two of the guys and I finished lap one in 44.6, right about where I wanted to be.  I passed another guy and moved into 3rd during the next lap and that would be my place for the next 23 laps.  At 1km the leader went flying by and at the mile (6:01.2) the second place guy went by.  He put a few seconds a lap on me then slowed and for most of the race he stayed about 50 meters in front of me.  I ended up lapping the three guys behind me as I hit 2 miles in 12:03.4 (6:02.2), but then started to struggle.  When I started to lap 4th place he accelerated, and I just couldn’t get around him (from 4000-4400 meters).  I found a little bit of extra speed and went by with 600 to go but never really got back to the pace I wanted.  I hit 3 miles in 18:11.7 (6:08.3) and finished in 18:56.7.  I was the only one in the field to not have my final lap be my fastest.  I just had no kick.



 

No comments: