Monday, February 6, 2023

Looking back - Feb 1998 & 2003

 

25 years ago: I was still coming back after navicular surgery and didn’t race in 1998 until April.

 

20 years ago: Coming back from an ankle injury so just four races, all of them snowshoe.  I kicked off the month at the Saratoga Springs (NY) Winterfest 5k.  The flat and fast course meant quick times as I took 7th in a field of 144 running a little over 7 minute pace (22:55).  The following weekend (02/08) I headed to Wilton NY for the Wildlife 5m snowshoe race.  The course was “rolling but groomed” and again the times were fast as I ran under 7’s taking 5th in a field of 69 in 33:16.  I finished the month with a “twofer” getting in snowshoe races on back-to-back days.  On 02/15 I headed to the Hawley Kiln 7m.  That is a long way to go on Snowshoes.  I love Hawley, that is where I did my first snowshoe race and first met Race Director extraordinaire Ed Alibozek!  I ran most of the way with Ken Clark and managed a fourth place finish in 62:43 (close to 9 minutes per mile!), teammate Richard Bolt won in 58:50.  The next day I headed out with Bolt to CMS country for the first (and last?) Hyland Orchard 3 mile snowshoe race.  Richard took the win in 18:04 and I placed 2nd in 18:34.

No comments: