Sunday, June 20, 2010

Hot and vigorous

50th Mt Washington

When I decided to get the Topaz treatment on my foot, I was pretty sure it would mean I could not run Mt Washington.  I worked hard during the down time and tested the plantar fascia each week as I slowly came back.  My weeks leading up to the race were the lowest mileage weeks I've ever heading heading into what is usually my biggest race of the year.

I eventually realized that I might be able to run in the range of 1:13 to 1:16 based on my results in road races and the lack of training I'd had.  My mileage was as follows - five weeks of Zero, then 30, 47, 60, 67, and 76.  Not exactly optimal.

I wrote up splits for a 1:12:30 calling that my "stretch goal", figuring in perfect conditions with a perfect day I might be able to do that.  Splits versus actual below (and differential).

7:15 -- 7:12 (-3)
8:59 -- 8:49 (-10)
9:25 -- 9:25 (--)
8:41-- 8:39 (-2)
:54 ---:57 (+3)
10:20 -- 10:12 (-8)
10:11 -- 10:02 (-9)
10:13 -- 10:03 (-10)
6:32 -- 6:40 (+8)

I got 1:11:59 on my watch which I stopped AFTER passing both mats.  I guess I should have started on the start line instead of four rows back.  Oh, well.  My goal was to score for the CMS 40+ team and I very nearly scored for the Open team!  I believe that the second place woman, Patrick Rich and Andy McCarron were the only people who passed me during the race.  Patrick blew by me early but I almost got him near the very top.  Andy and I had a good battle back 'n forth (that reminded me of battling Ben Nephew a few years ago).  That kept me pushing over the last 3 miles.  I think we passed each other at least five times after the half.

I found it hard to believe that I got second place in the US championship (in the masters).  It looks like I had a good day.  I'm looking forward to testing the plantar fascia on the ups/downs at Cranmore (USATF NE championship) next week.

Congratulations to everyone who took on the Mountain for the 50th.

3 comments:

Derrick said...

Congrats Dave! Great to see you bounce back and have such a strong race following the surgery.

Kevin Balance said...

you're an absolute monster on that hill. great race w/ limited training going into it. wow. 2nd place master in a national championship. congrats--big time.

double-d Mountain runner said...

Thanks guys! Major surprise....I guess the biking really helps.