Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Jay & Big Jay

Jay Peak – 3,858’
Orleans VT COHP

Big Jay – 3,786’
Franklin VT COHP

I followed Hanson’s 2002 trip report which is still accurate, but decided to make a loop out of it figuring running down the ski slopes would be more interesting than coming back down the Long Trail. Ran up the Long Trail from Jay pass and hit the summit in 34:22. I spent 5:54 taking a couple of quick pictures and having a drink and gel, and then headed off. It was windy and a rain shower was passing by as I headed off the rocky summit. I ran down the “Goat Run” then headed for the “trail” to Big Jay. I missed it at first, heading into the woods on an animal path a bit before the actual unofficial trail. I then bushwhacked over and got on the trail. 28:31 after leaving Jay I was on the top of Big Jay. The path was excellent, just a couple of boggy spots where I went calf and knee deep in mud. I took just under 5 minutes to sign in and take a few pictures before heading back to Jay. I stopped just before the summit to chat with a backpacker (who wasn’t sure exactly where the LT went) and was on top again 31:00 after leaving Big Jay. I decided that heading across the peak would be “easy” and 11:23 later I was standing on top of a sub-peak that had a ski trail and after a 3 minute break for the last of my water and a couple of more pics I was on my way down to the base. 10:38 later I reached the bottom of the ski area and after adjusting my orthotics (which had pushed forward in my shoes) I was off for Jay pass. The final 2 miles on the road were not that bad, it was very quiet out there. 16:57 later I was back at the car gulping down a Vanilla Coke. Total time for the ‘about 8 mile’ loop was 2:26:32.

Pictures: http://doubledmountainrunner.shutterfly.com/2147

No comments: