Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Re-injured

My achilles was sore before Thanksgiving but nothing out of the ordanairy (so I thought).  I raced well on T-day and followed that up with maybe my best race of the year at the Andover Country Club XC.  The next day I ran in the morning and felt fine, at lunch 2 miles into my run the achilles got very sore.  By the end of the run it was very sore.  I did a very slow and very tentative 5 miles that afternoon but knew it was not good.

I was away for the USATF convention and the achilles (and now calf) just got worse despite slow running, stretching, anti-inflams, ultrasound, and a ton of ice.  I went back into PT yesterday and found that it technically isn't a re-injury since it is lower on the calf but definitely the same idea as before.  This time the tear is right where the achilles and the calf muscle meet, a place that is tough to heal due to lower blood flow.

On to the bike and PT...

5 comments:

PatrickCT said...

Sorry to hear about the latest injury - we really enjoy your blog...you may be aware of this treatment regime already, but - in case it is AT (vs only the calf), Eccentric Heel Drops are the way to go...maybe they'd be helpful for general calf injury prevention too...

double-d said...

Thanks for the advice...I've been doing the heel drops consistently since the first onset of this in June.

Cheers,
dd

Mark Mauro said...

Hi Dave,

sucks about the re-injury. I was wondering if something was up, since it had been awhile since a blog update.

How does this affect the snowshoe racing season(assuming we ever get any snow)? I am going to try a couple of races this winter and was hoping to get a chance to meet you in person after being a fan of the blog for so long.

Get better!
Mark Mauro

double-d said...

The gap in blog posts was actually due to being at the USATF convention in St. Louis (posts to follow). Thanks for following the blog. I plan on being out there snowshoe racing ASAP. This is just (another) speed-bump.

Lize Brittin said...

I hope you have a speedy recovery.