Friday, February 24, 2012

Looking back (not so far)

15 Years ago (1997) – I only did 2 races in February of 1997.  The first was a “workout” with Craig Fram at the Bradford Valentines day.  Our plan was to run the course twice in 26:00 each time.  We were close, passing through the finish line in 25:54, and then completing the loop again in 26:30.  The only other race I did was the a mile at the USATF Maine track championships finishing in second place in a lackluster 4:26

10 Years ago (2002) – I raced three times in February of 2002 two snowshoe races and a road race.  I started the month with a second place finish at the Clearwater sports snowshoe race in Warren VT.  Richard Bolt and I traveled to the race and he buried me by a little less than 30 seconds to take the win.  Six days later we were toeing the line in Traverse City MI at the USSSA championships.  I ended up taking 2nd place and Richard was 17 seconds behind me in third.  The final race of the month was a duel against Verrington at the Cherry Pie race in Lawrence MA.  Dan and I have had a lot of races against each other over the years and we are just about even in the number of wins (over each other).  Dan took this one by 13 seconds.


5 Years ago (2007) – Unlike this year there was plenty of snow in 2007 and I took advantage, running five snowshoe races.  I did mix it up, getting in an additional 3 road races for a total of 8 races over the span of 21 days.  I got a victory at the Fudgesicle 5k (plus) taking the win on a snowy day running 19:28.  A week later I doubled up, taking 2nd to Kevin Tilton at the Sandwich snowshoe race and then taking 3rd place the following morning at Frosty’s dash (which was held on a mix of road and trail due to the lack of snow in Atkinson.  The following weekend I was at it again this time with a rare triple!  I took 3rd at the Fudgesicle race (Dan won in 17:45) and taking 2nd to Paul Low at the Hallockville snowshoe race the next day.  I closed out the weekend with a President’s day race on the Merrimack River trail.  Fifteen other knuckle-heads joined me on a brutally cold morning with winds gusting in the 30 mph range.  I set up a 3.3 mile out/back race.  Ben Nephew and Dan Verrington had a close race (5 seconds) and I rolled in with a third place about 20 seconds back.  I closed the book on the month with another double, both snowshoe races and both out in Western Mass.  On Saturday I ran the 8 mile covered bridges race, taking fourth.  It was a long day of racing (1:25:28).  The next day I headed back to Hallockville where Ethen Nedeau wisely sat on me until the final mile and then buried me to win, 28 seconds up on me. 


No comments: