Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Workout

Workout 04-25-12

Dan messed up his back at work yesterday and opted out of our normal track workout.  I didn’t want to go to the track alone (although Dan volunteered to come to the track and time me), so I decided to do my workout during my normal lunch run.


I chose to do a tempo run as time is pretty tight at lunch.  I settled on a 3 mile tempo run with a mile warm-up and mile warm-down.  My plan was to run between 5:45-5:50 pace and hopefully feel pretty decent.

It was a bit windy but temperatures were just about perfect when I hit the road at 11:30am.  I passed the mile mark in 6:55 and then upped the tempo.  It felt pretty quick but I also was running the flattest (and slightly downhill) part of the course AND I had a bit of a tailwind.  I was a bit surprised to hit the mile in 5:34.  Then I had to retrace my steps so it was slightly uphill and there was a bit of a headwind.  Two miles felt pretty good as I hit 5:45 for the split (and 11:19 for 2m).  The final mile had a nice downhill but the final ½ mile was all slightly uphill.  I felt I worked the hardest in the third mile and I hit the finish in 17:00 (5:41 last mile).  I finished the workout with a 6:31 mile for a total of 30:26 for 5m. 

Next up: Grantham 3k road race on Saturday.

No comments: