Monday, August 12, 2013

30 Years ago

30 years ago – August 1983: This was the end of the summer leading into my sophomore year at U-Lowell. I was training between 70-80 miles per week but not racing much. I ran my hometown 10k, the aptly named “Crime Chase” which ran out by the Billerica House of Correction. I ended up taking third on a hot and humid 95 degree day. Tom Mixon won in 32:05 to my 33:23. The next day I headed to Lowell for the “Perdue Chicken Grab Bag race”. GLRR guru Dave Camire had asked me to run the 1.5 mile fun run in a Chicken costume. I thought it’d be fun. I finished just outside of the top 10 in 11:30 (7:40 pace). I had so much fun I asked Dave if it’d be okay for me to run the 12k in the Chicken suit. I had a blast, clucking and squawking as I passed people. I ended up running 53:06 (just over 7:00 pace). The rented costume was ruined! I had worn out the feet; I guess they really weren’t made for tearing up the roads of Lowell.
Can you pic me out of this shot?

No comments: