Friday, October 25, 2013

20 years ago

20 Years ago = Oct. 1993 – I was on a pretty good roll during this month.  I raced four times although one of them was a marathon that I ran as a long run in preparation for the Ocean State marathon (my goal race).  I started the month with a return to the Hollis Applefest ½ marathon.  This was my fourth win at Hollis in four tries albeit in my slowest time to date (1:08:36).  A week later I had one of my better races of the year winning at the Laconia DARE 10k.  I set a course record over the certified 10k loop running 29:49 alone from start to finish (2nd place was just under 5 minutes behind).

 The next day I ran the Baystate marathon with Byrne Decker and Mike Beeman.  The plan was to pace Mike as close to 6:30’s as possible.  We crossed the line in the top 20 with a 2:51:25.  I recall being sluggish from the previous day’s race and just hanging on behind them for most of the way.  Two weeks later I headed down to RI with Dan for the Ocean State marathon.  It was windy and rainy and I felt lousy.  Dan and I stuck with Doug Curtis until 21 miles when he pulled away and I dropped Dan.  Curtis won in 2:25:35, I was 2nd ($1,000) in 2:26:06, and Dan took third in 2:28:29.


No comments: