Thursday, October 24, 2013

25 Years ago

25 Years ago = Oct. 1988 – I mixed it up this month, racing between 8k and 14.6 miles and taking it to the roads and XC.  I started the month in Lowell, MA running the New England 8km road championships.  I was happy with the time (23:46) but got my lunch handed to me, finishing in 4th place.  A week later I jumped in at the Lehigh Invitational, despite badly twisting my ankle the day before while previewing the course.  I was working as an assistant coach for U-Lowell and was really just there to drive the team van.  Anyway, I taped up my ankle and took third in the open competition running 30:59 over the 10k course (won by Steve Spence in 30:35).  Two weeks later I joined my GLRR teammates for the Plymouth to Provincetown relay.  I ran the long leg (14.6 miles) in 1:15:05 (through 5m in 25:20 and 10m in 50:30 before hitting some rolling hills).  We ended up taking 3rd place behind a Nike team and the always strong CMS team.  

The final race of the week was the Saco (Maine) Pumpkin race.  I ran this a few times because they always had some $$$$ and there were always some decent runners showing up and running fast times.  I got stuck in traffic and only had 15 minutes to warm-up and ended up taking 3rd place in 30:06.


No comments: