Saturday, September 6, 2014

Looking back - Not that long ago

September 1994 -20 years ago: A bunch of nagging injuries (left adductor, ankle, and hamstring) kept my mileage lower than I would have liked I didn’t miss any days and got in 368 miles and four races. I wrapped up my five race trip to Europe with the World Mountain running championships in Berchestgaden Germany. Maybe I trained a bit too much while over there? I had dead-legs at the start of this 8 mile climb and found myself outside of the top 50 at the first kilometer. I slowly moved up and by 3k I was in the top 20. By the end I worked my way up to 15th in 1:03:21, a little over 2 minutes behind the winner. Dan V was our second man in 50th running 1:06:34. The following week I was back on the road running the Millyard 5k. I locked my keys in the car before the race and had to run in my heavy trainers. I ended up running 14:50 for third place. On the 17th I ran the 11 mile leg of the Lake Winnie (Fred Brown) relay. We were crushed by Whirlaway who beat the CMS squad by 15 minutes. I had the 2nd fastest time of the day on my let running 59:10 over the hilly course. The final race of the month was the U-Lowell alumni cross-country race held at Chelmsford High School. I battled with Dave Cremin through miles of 5:00 and 5:04 before Dave buried me on the sand hill. I took second place in the field of 35 running a 15:47.            

 

September 2004 -10 years ago:

I passed 90,000 lifetime miles near the end of the month while getting in 280 miles and racing twice. I only raced twice this month and both were identical 3rd place finishes and both were timed in 17:57. The two cross-country races were the Governor Dummer Invitational (Newbury, MA) which was a fun event with the Winner’s Circle Running Club racing the High School team. Two weeks later I ran in the 3x5k Chamberas XC relay in Greenwich RI.

 

 

No comments: