Saturday, November 8, 2014

Old October Course Records

Course records out there (October)

Well my two course records from October held up for another year.  The oldest is the Gravy race (Canton, MA) 10k which is now over 23 years old.  Back in 1991 I ran this race because it was part of the Hockomock Swamp Rat (HSR) series.  College Teammate Mike Woodman took it out hard and I stuck with him through 2 miles before forging ahead.  My 30:12 has stood the test of time in this race which has now been held for 26 years.

The other record I have is from the Stark Mountain hill climb (Fayston, VT).  This is one of the toughest races I’ve ever done, it is an “open course” meaning you can go any way you want from the base lodge to the summit of Stark Mountain.  That is a 1,000’ climb over (potentially) one mile.  Ouch!  The 14th annual running of the race was held earlier this month and my record of 23:50 held up for the 7th year.  The time of 23:50 is definitely my slowest pace per mile in a race I’ve run (and in any course record I have).

No comments: