Thursday, April 30, 2015

Reading Town Forest

I had a little time before my podiatrist appointment at Reading Foot & Ankle so I researched for an interesting place to run.  The Reading town website had a lot of great information about the various trails available throughout the town.  I decided to park at Kurchian Woods and run over to the Town forest where I could link up with the Ipswich River greenway.  I plotted out a nice loop that looked to be about 4 miles and figured if it was a little short I could add on in Kurchian Woods.

The parking area was pretty small (I almost missed it driving by), probably could fit 4 cars.  There was a big sign board and the trail looked to be well maintained.  I headed off for a ¼ mile road run over to the town forest.  Although it isn’t marked as a parking area for the trails there were spots available at the soccer field near the middle school.

The sign board at the town forest had a warning about coyotes in the area.  I didn’t see any and also didn’t see any roadrunners or any anvils being tossed off of cliffs.  The trails were really nice, well maintained and a mix of single-track and wide dirt roads.  I covered most of the trails and figured that if I did the few I missed it would be about a 5 mile run without really repeating.  There were some nice boardwalks in the marshy areas and pleasant views of the Ipswich River.  It was good to see the trails getting used; about a dozen people were out walking the trails while I was out there.

My run came out just a bit short of 4 miles so I added a short out/back into Kurchian woods.  Next time I have an appointment I’ll have to check out more of those woods and maybe add on one of the nearby lots as well.  Good stuff!

 

2 comments:

DoubleJ said...

Any Wayne Gretzky sightings out there?

Anonymous said...

I saw him once there swinging a hockey stick at a squirrel in a tree.