Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Mill Cities Relay: F-You

Mill Cities relay – This was my 12th time running the MCR.  This is a fun relay that covers 25 miles from Nashua NH to Lawrence MA mostly right along the Merrimack River.  The race is put on by “local” clubs and features five legs varying in length from 2.5 miles to 9.5 miles.  Over the years I’ve run every leg except the first.  Most of the time I’ve run the long leg which has ranged from 9.3 to 9.6 miles over the years depending on the exact start and finish spots.  I recall starting at the Wang building, the boathouse, and the bathhouse on the Lowell end and finishing at Bea’s (a landmark sandwich shop which is now a boatramp) most years.

Dan Verrington and I met up at the end of the long leg as we’d both be covering that leg for different Winner’s Circle teams.  I’d see a lot of my CMS teammates out there competing for other clubs as CMS is not on the list of invited teams.  Fortunately it is easy enough to become a member of another club.  WCRC has lifetime memberships so Dan and I have run for them a number of times.  I’m also a lifetime member (Hall of fame) for the Greater Lowell Road Runners but haven’t run for them in a few years.  Dan was running on a fast 50+ squad and I was on a mixed 50+ team (three men and two women).



We got to the start of our leg at the Umass Lowell boathouse pretty early.  The race hadn’t even started in Nashua when we rolled up.  I like plenty of time to prep so this was not a problem.  I decided to warm-up with Dan knowing that he would be starting 15-30 minutes before I would.  We loosened up with a 3 mile run on the third leg course and got to see the “sunshine start” runners as they went by.  It was great to see a bunch of familiar faces.  After the warm-up Dan headed out to make sure he didn’t miss his start and I changed into race gear and did some last minute prep.  This is the worst part of the relay, waiting around knowing it could be 10 minutes or 30 seconds until you get your hand-off.  I hung out near the exchange zone with about 100 other people waiting anxiously for their number to be called.  I hadn’t met anyone on my team but we had some good email exchanges so we’d all know about when to expect the baton.  Sure enough right around our scheduled time my teammate came into view.
I grabbed the baton, slapped it around my wrist as I hit my watch and took off.  I guessed there would not be anyone to run with since you’d have to somehow get the hand-off at exactly the same time as someone who would be running it at your pace.  I lucked out a couple of years ago and ran the entire race with a guy from Somerville Road Runners, but that is a rarity.  About half of the 246 teams had already gone by so there would be a lot of people to catch.  The first 2 miles were wide path and wide breakdown lane.  The next 2-plus miles would be dangerous running on narrow sidewalk with little room to pass.  I reached the mile in 6-flat which was promising as I’d set my goal at 6:00-6:15 pace.  I’d run 60:13 at the Amherst 10 mile way back in February and this was a much easier course.  The second mile has the only real bump along the way the tough hill at mile 24 of the marathon was not so tough in the 2nd mile of a much shorter race.  I hit 2 miles in 12:04 (6:04 split) and then got into the construction zone and the narrow sidewalk.  I called out “coming up”, “passing”, “heads-up” or some version of the same as I closed on runners.  Mostly it wasn’t bad, maybe I was fired up by the fear of wiping out at any moment as the next two miles were quicker.  I ran a 5:56 and 5:57 hitting four miles in 23:57.  I kept thinking “get to 5 miles then pick it up”.  I was also hoping to get to 5 miles faster than I’d raced at the NE 5m champs back in June (30:01).  I reached 5 miles in 29:58 (6:01 split) and was feeling pretty good.  I’d made it past the funky detour onto and off of the bike path which included a couple of sharp turns some dirt/grass and a sharp little downhill (followed by a sharp little uphill).  With that behind me I focused on pushing the pace and passing people.
I’d been counting how many I passed right from the start and by 6 miles (5:58/35:54) I had gone past 40 people.  I only had one problem with anyone up to that point (a woman with headphones blaring who did not hear me calling out a bunch of times and freaked a bit when I tapped her on the shoulder).  I know had a fairly wide breakdown lane so it was a lot easier to pass, but people don’t seem to run as straight as you might think they would and as I was heading by a guy he started weaving to the left so I adjusted and started around to the right.  Of course right when I did that he started weaving back over to the right.  I made it by okay but he chastised me as I went by stating “you are going to get in an accident, you should be passing on the left”.  I was not happy and told him to “fuck off!” as I continued on my way.  I felt bad later about cursing him but it was frustrating at the time.

The final few miles went by with nothing as exciting.  I ran a 6:01 and a 5:58 and kept trying to pick up the pace.  I must have been pretty much at max as my 9th mile was a 6:06 (my slowest of the day).  I kept it together as I headed up the driveway toward the exchange zone.  It was then that I realized my baton was no longer wrapped around my arm!  Yikes!!!  I hadn’t even thought about it during the run and thought maybe it was up my sleeve or something.  No such luck.  I reached the exchange and slapped hands with our anchor leg and told him I couldn’t find the baton.  He said something like “no problem” and dashed off.  I hit my watch and got 57:29 for the 9.6 miles which was right on 6:00 pace.  I was pleased and pretty darned tired.  I had ended up passing 64 people during my leg, so over 1/4 of the entered teams.  We took 64th place overall in the relay and 6th in the mixed 50+ scoring, out of 16 teams.  The club took 2nd place in overall points.  Fantastically fun day!



No comments: