Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Looking back - January 1979


Looking back - 40 years ago:
It was pretty easy for me to set PR’s back in ’79, since it was my first season of track.  Pretty much any time I raced I got a new personal best.  During my first full month of running I logged 145 with 4 days off, or an average of just over 5 miles a day (on the days I ran).  The month was kicked off with a 2 mile relay with Jay Sullivan, John Dangora, and Dan Gee at the Freshman/Sophomore Methuen Invitational.  We ran 9:34 and my 2:25 split was a personal best as it was my first half-mile race.  Two days later we were back at the Methuen field house for a dual meet against Wilmington.  I finished third in my first two mile (11:27) which John Dangora won in 10:14.  A week later we were back in Methuen, this time in a dual meet against Methuen.  I took 14 seconds off my 2 mile time placing fourth, second place was 3 seconds ahead and teammate/neighbor Paul Bradford was .8 ahead of me.  The next week saw us back at Methuen yet again, this time in a dual meet against Lawrence.  I dropped my PR down to 10:59 placing third.  The final race of the month was the League meet at Methuen.  I noted in my log that I ran a “bad pace” again running 10:59 for two-miles, this time placing fourth.



No comments: