Monday, February 17, 2020

Omhe Hochi 30k - 1990

I headed to Ohme Hochi Japan on what was one of the best trips I’ve ever taken. I was the U.S. representative to the race which is the sister race of the Boston marathon (I was the top NE finisher in 2:22:03 the year before). The trip was a lot of fun but the race did not go as well as I’d hoped, mostly because I went out a bit too hard (31:06 at 10k). My second 10k was 32:34 and I ran out of gas finishing with a 33:41 final 10k.  I did end up with a personal best of 1:37:21, but had almost run that fast on the brutally hilly Stu’s 30km course. I finished 17th which was the same place I’d finished at Boston. I ended up beating 10,974 people which is nearly twice the number I beat in Boston (back then Boston only had 5,000 finishers!). This was also the trip where I did two runs in the same day, more than 24 hours apart.  Highlights of the trip (beyond the race) were running in the Royal Garden, riding the bullet train, and getting a private viewing of some famous Picasso paintings.
Interviewed for TV

Out safely

Shirt made it into my racing quilt

So many photo ops

Staged picture at the race 1/2 way mark

One of about 10 welcome parties

Traditional dress for a traditional dinner

They took us skating!


Results

No comments: