Friday, September 18, 2020

Looking back - Sept 2015

 5 years ago September 2015 - I started the month with the USATF NE 20k championships.  My plan was to be conservative for the first 10k and try to attack the second half.  The first mile was a quick (mostly downhill) 5:51, and I eased up a bit as we hit the first hill.  I’d found a comfortable pace but it varied wildly depending on how much up or down there was.  I was in 77th place at 10k with a line of people in front of me to hunt down.  I reached the finish in 1:16:36 moving up 15 places in the second 10k and running a negative split (38:27 first 10k and 38:09 second 10k).  Our team did well, taking third place in the seniors. 

 50+ Pl   Pl          Time     Name                            Team

1          37         1:13:51 Christopher Lawrence       BAA

2          40         1:14:05 Wayne Levy                    BAA

3          50         1:15:32 Dan Verrington                CMS

4          52         1:15:38 Douglas Martyn               WRT

5          54         1:15:41 Michael Cooney               WRT

6          58         1:16:06 Jim Miller                       GMAA

7          62         1:16:39 Dave Dunham                 CMS

 Next up was the Lone Gull 10k which was the final race in the seven-race USATF NE road running grand prix series on Sept 20.  I found a spot on the line in the sixth row, right behind Dan Verrington and Byrne Decker.  I followed Byrne through a comfortable first mile as we weaved through a lot of fast starters.  Dan floated on by right around the mile.  I hit the headwind from just after four miles (to the finish) and was lucky enough to catch a few tall people to tuck behind.  I caught a few 50+ runners along the way; I only lost ground to a couple of people over the last few miles and hit the finish in 36:38 (gun time 36:42).  Our team had a solid run taking second place in the seniors.  Splits: 5:44, 5:57, 5:46, 5:59, 5:51, 6:03, 1:18

 Top 10 Seniors:

Pl          O'all      Name                Age       City, St               Team    Chip

1          58         Douglas Martyn   55         N Andover, MA    WRT      35:02

2          68         Chris Lawrence   51         Lincoln, RI          BAA       35:25

3          75         Wayne Levy        50         Newton, MA        BAA       35:42

4          76         Michael Cooney   53         Chelmsford, MA   WRT      35:44

5          81         Jim Miller           57                                 GMAA    36:04

6          82         Peter Bottomley  53         Cape Eliz, ME      DIRIGO  36:03

7          83         Dan Verrington    53         Bradford , MA      CMS      36:08

8          91         Dave Dunham     51         Bradford, MA       CMS      36:40

9          94         Alejandro Heuck  50         Amherst , MA      GSH      46:30

10         96         Henry Scollard    52         Cambridge, MA   WRT      36:51

 Joe English Twilight challenge Freestyle farm ½ marathon - I was looking for the elusive win to continue my streak (1979-2014) and this second year trail race looked like a possibility.  They offered a six-hour run, a marathon, a marathon relay, and a half-marathon all contested over a 2.6 mile loop through the woods.  The unusual part would be the start time which was 5pm for the 6-hour, and 6pm for the marathon & half-marathon.  That meant that everyone would be running at least some of the race in the dark. 

 There was a nice mix of dirt path (mostly dirt road width) and some grass, nothing rough no roots or rocks.  They clearly marked the course with flagging and glow sticks and had each kilometer marked as well.  The start/finish was located INSIDE of the barn at Freestyle farm, which was unique (and would be hopping during the race).  They had tables set up for water and lap counters for each of the events.  Conditions were just about ideal with clear skies for the full moon and temps in the low 60s.  I was thinking I’d run close to 7 minute pace based on the distance and the course.  The Scottish fellow (Christopher Busby) and Ryan Collins went by me at the first kilometer mark and I relaxed and settled into a pace I hoped I could maintain.

I concentrated on keeping the guys in sight. They were 30 seconds ahead at the end of lap two.  Busby struggled a bit on lap three and I began to close on him.  About halfway through lap three I caught him, but now I could not see the leader.  Collins had about 45 seconds on me as I finished the 3rd lap.  It was getting dark during the third lap as it was now about 7pm and I grabbed a drink and my headlamp as I rolled through the barn with two laps to go.  The glow sticks were glowing and the “signal fires” were lit.  I slowed a bit running and struggled over the final lap and never got any closer to Collins who took the win in 1:24:15, I crossed the line in 1:25:2 and Busby was next in 1:26:55.                          

                                                                                                                                               

Pl Name                         City, ST              Age       Time                 Age group

1 Ryan Collins                                         30         1:24:15             30-39

2 Dave Dunham              Bradford , MA      51         1:25:20             50-59

3 Christopher Busby         Edinburgh          33         1:26:55             30-39

4 Dave Herd                   Lee, NH             33         1:40:08             30-39

35 finishers (5 in the 50-59)

 

No comments: