Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Track workout (with no track)

 With some shorter races on the horizon I thought it was time to get back to doing some speed work.  I've only done a few workouts since May and those have been longer tempo run types.  I decided I wanted to do a few half-mile repeats and Doug D was game.  He hasn't done any speed this year but ran a 5:30 mile last week!  My goal was sub-2:50 as I'm hoping to go under 11 minutes for 3km this weekend.

We met up for my lunch run and headed off on the "Reverse Kingsbury" loop.  Two miles of easy running (16:55) and it was game on.  Doug flew to the front and I hung on.  Damn, he looked smooth.  We ran the first half in 2:45.  Continuing on the loop with a 4:02 resting half and it was my turn to lead.  Doug stayed right there until 200 to go and just floated away.  I ran 2:49 and was wheezing the last 200.  The next half mile recovery (3:52) seemed to go by too quickly.  Off we went again with Doug at the front on the downhill stretch of 125.  I stayed close for the first 400, lost contact then got back with 200 to go.  Doug dragged me through a 2:37.  A final half-mile up the Wizard of Oz segment (tough hill) and we were done (4:19).  A solid run 37:33 and a good confidence builder for me.

Now I just need Doug to carry me through a sub-5:30 mile on the track!



No comments: